1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Avalanche in Colorado - news story, not NHL related

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jan 6, 2007.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

CNN reporting that an avalanche in Colorado has buried vehicles on U.S. 40. Just breaking news right now. No word on injuries or deaths.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Re: Colorado Avalanche

I thought this might be an NHL thread. This news is a lot worse than whatever I thought I would see here.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Yeah. I suppose I could have no capitalized Avalanche. I'll go back and fix that.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

How about avalance in Colorado?

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Oz, you beat me to it.

Good Lord, I hope this isn't as bad as it sounds. :'(

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

My aunt's best friend and her husband were killed in an avalanche.

My thoughts are with those affected.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

From CNN.com

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- A huge avalanche buried several cars and sent others over the edge Saturday on U.S. 40 near 11,307-foot-high Berthoud Pass, Colorado highway officials said.

"Our crews said it was the largest they have ever seen. It took three paths," said Stacey Stegman, spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Transportation.

Crews had rescued at least six people at the site some 60 miles west of Denver, she said.

Rescuers were probing the area for other survivors.

She said some cars were buried by the snow in an area called Stanley near Berthoud Falls between 10:00 and 10:30 a.m.

Berthoud Pass is the main route to Winter Park, one of Colorado's largest ski areas.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

This is a HEAVILY traveled road, especially on weekends. My sister and husband were on the road today about two hours before this thing struck. Thankfully, they're safe and sound in Winter Park (not a bad place to be, mind you). This sucker will take some time to dig out, and it will be quite difficult to get out of Winter Park tomorrow. Thankfully, no deaths, but had this thing struck 2-3 hours earlier .... wow. There's been no word on how this thing got triggered. Hopefully, it wasn't some idiot(s) up there with LOTS of fresh powder that the mountain got this week and triggering the thing. In any event, a lot of relief.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

My mother has been working weekdays in Colorado the last few months. As the risk of being terribly insensitive to those this incidents affects, thank GOODNESS I know she's home.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Incredible the weather-related news coming out of Denver the past month.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Props to spup on the find. One of my best friends is an avid skier who lives in the north suburbs of Denver, and Winter Park is one of her main destinations on the weekends. I gave her a call this afternoon after I saw this and today was the one Saturday she didn't go skiing. Whew!

12. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This sounds awful, but it looks like no one was killed. Thank god.

Draft saved Draft deleted