1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AV Club: The 50 Best Films of the 90s

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Th AV Club ruminates on what the best 50 Films of the 90s were.

Part 1:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-50-best-films-of-the-90s-1-of-3,86304/

Part 2:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-50-best-films-of-the-90s-2-of-3,86361/

Part 3:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-50-best-films-of-the-90s-3-of-3,86467/

Other than a real WTF miss by leaving out Shawshank Redemption entirely (I don't care how snotty you are as a film critic, it's a great, great movie) I thought they did a pretty good job. I would have put Good Will Hunting on the list too, but I understand why it's cool for hipsters to shit on these days. It's not a "great" film but it's certainly something that has a lot of personal emotional resonance to it.

Thoughts? Instead of spoiling the order, I'll ask a trio questions:

1. There are four Coen Brothers films on the list. I would not rank the in the order they're ranked. In fact, I might flip them entirely. Would you?

2. Was Terminator 2 really the best action flick of the 90s?

3. Let's assume everyone has seen Pulp Fiction and Goodfellas. Which would you rank as No. 1? Why? Or would you pick another film for the top honors?

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I read those earlier. I could smell the PBR coming off the screen.

3. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I didn't get that out of the list. The top 10 were mainstream Hollywood. One of them was Toy Story 2. If they wanted to be hipsters, they would've picked 10 foreign films of which we've never heard.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

I'm a frequent reader of the AV Club. I love a lot of their features. But when it comes to movies, they're basically Pitchfork.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I'm sure it's generational - or something - but that list is baffling.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Grosse Point Blank and Gattaca deserve to be on the list. Eyes Wide Shut? NFW

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Putting Toy Story 2 third and omitting the original is SO hipster.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Here's the blowback, and an alternative list, from Slate.

www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2012/10/10/best_1990s_movies_an_alternate_list.html

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Went through that entire list again. What do they have against Jonathan Demme? No Silence of the Lambs or Philadelphia, unless I completely missed them.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yes -- clearly, sexism is the only explanation for the AV Club leaving "Point Break" off its top 50.

As for the original top 50, I'd quibble here and there, but overall it's a pretty solid list. My two favorites of the era, Rushmore and The Big Lebowski, both ranked high so I'm happy.

I will say, it has become fashionable to suggest Eyes Wide Shut is an unfairly maligned masterpiece. It is not.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As U.R. points out, can a 'best' movie list of the 1990s be taken seriously without 'Silence of the Lambs?'

Where's 'American Beauty?'

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

No Apollo 13, either. But there's the motherfucking Blair Witch Project, so all is well. ::)

Hipster Douches Are Hipster.

Draft saved Draft deleted