1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auxiliary Press Box ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FishHack76, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Doesn't 800 seem outrageously high? I guess that would include photogs, TV techs/runners and every other category, but that still seems like it's at least twice as many as there ought to be for a regular season game.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Seemed high to me too, just repeating what I was told.

Ran into Howie Long in the elevator at the Ritz yesterday, so I can go home now...there is not a single thing wrong with that man.

Snow coming down wet and heavy, should be an interesting day.

3. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Well, to answer JB Hawkeye, you don't have to envy me. It's in the auxiliary locker room coincidentally enough. There are TVs all around but we're bunkered deep inside Soldier Field.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And away from the cold, of course.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Hey ... It's slightly drafty in here, but you wouldn't believe the whining so far. You would have thought they were putting clamps on people's nuts. (Sorry I don't see any women here otherwise I would be equal opportunity). About 2/3rds of the reporters think they should be in the press box.

Yeah you're watching it on a television in a locker room but YOU'RE GETTING PAID TO BE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish some journalists would drop that overly high sense of entitlement.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Whoever said there were going to be 3000 reporters there? There were 3000 media credentials handed out. That would include producers, directors, cameramen, etc, etc, etc.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Yes FishHack I'm in the auxilary "press box" here in Soldier Field too.

I've done my obligatory whining and now I'm done. Maybe. There are no female reporters here because the men's and women's restrooms are locker-room type --- walk right in, sit right down, take a shit.

Plus, nobody's cell phone is working.

This blows.

My colleague was in the main press box and I got past the first set of NFL flunkie fascist types. We had three credentials and I figured maybe two were upstairs, where, you know, you can actually cover the game. Wrong.

The woman upstairs told me I had to leave and if I lingered a moment longer, I think she was gonna call the fucking cops.

They've told us we have locker room/press conference access after the game down here. But there's a general attitude of "I don't know, don't ask me" among the stadium worker types here.

Anyway I'm fixin' to complain some more. Might make these next four hours pass a little quicker.

8. Moses

Moses New Member

I'm in the Aux. Press Box No. 2 at Soldier Field. It really begs the question, ``Are you covering a game if you can't see the game?'' I could watch this on television, watch the presser on the NFL Network and then grab a couple of extra quotes from AP later. What would be the difference?

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Couldn't you just part the sea of reporters in the main press box and find a seat?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Stop your grumping! Ask your older colleagues what the aux box was like for the 1996 AFC title game at Foxboro. It was outside, in a tent. To file, reporters had to find outlets stuck in the halls of the Pats' office corridors.
    Or the Riverfront Stadium aux. box for the 1990 World Series. Marge Schott either forgot or was too cheap to install something most people find helpful at a night game. Lights.

11. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Now I don't feel so bad about not being there.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You guys down there ain't missing much of a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted