1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auxiliary Press Box ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FishHack76, Jan 19, 2007.

1. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

... This is just a curious question (and perhaps a dumb one), but is the auxiliary press box for NFL playoff games usually indoors or outdoors? By that question, you can tell this is for the NFC Championship and not the AFC Championship.
    It would prove rather difficult to cover the Colts game outside.
    I was just curious as to how warmly I had to dress. I doubted they would give free reign of luxury boxes to the press, so I didn't know where else they would stick us.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are correct. I would be extremely difficult to cover the Colts game outside.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

But that won't stop the network from having a blimp on hand to provide aerial coverage.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You have to have that beautiful aerial coverage somehow.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Yeah the girlfriend asked about that when we were watching some game one night. "Why do they need a blimp?" I really didn't have a good answer.

6. estreetfan75

estreetfan75 Member

My guess is that by auxiliary they mean, inside but no view of the field so you have to rely on TVs.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Never been in an aux at a football game. At baseball games, I've been in left and right field. Outside.

8. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

This is correct. The Super Bowls for the last 7-or-so years have had auxiliary press boxes.
    Going way back, I remember one in Pasadena which was a tent OUTSIDE the Rose Bowl.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The aux box will be somewhere with a view, a table, and phone and net access. Some attempt to protect your company's valuable electronic equipment from the elements will be made-that is to say, you'll probably be dry, but warm's a toss-up.
    Get there early, real early. Go directly to media work room and set up shop there. Go to your aux box seat and watch the first half until you get frozen, bored, or both. Go back to work room and cover the event as usual.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Heard today that Bears typically issue 800 media credentials for a regular season game....and issued more than 3000 for Sunday's game. Dress warm and bring binoculars.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

i agree with the esteemed mr. gee about everything except spending the first half in your seat. stay in the media work room, watch on tv and go from there. 8) 8) 8)

12. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Last two SBs I covered I was in the stands with a clipboard, but those weren't in situations like Chicago. Wow, that would definitely suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted