1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automotive question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pencil Dick, May 9, 2007.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Junkie ... that's why I asked for a clarification of their version of "tune-up."

Thing is, the 5,000-mile oil, oil filter, rotate tires and once-over usually goes for less than $50. At those 30K intervals, usually little more is needed than air filters. Maybe brake pads at 60K. Tires somewhere in between ... and like you, Junkie, I drive something a couple notches up from an econobox.

TBF, plugs and wires? Wires don't usually need replacement unless they're defective. Plugs shouldn't cost more than a few bucks, unless they're the platinum-tipped sort and those should be replaced only at 100K or more ...

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

But if the average life for a spark plug is 30-60K miles, why not change the wires while you have 'em off?

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So if my ride is about to hit 100,000 miles and I change the oil every 5,000 miles or so, do I need to do anything special to coax another 50,000 or so miles out of it (it's American!)?

4. three_bags_full

Normal maintenance will make even American cars last a while. Transmission and cooling system flushes, new plugs, wires, air filters and keep changing the oil -- that type stuff.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Which of pencil dick's "little" problems are you talking about?

Another question for Ms. Grease Monkey: How come my going-to-the-train station car won't start when the engine is hot. It's fine when I just take it one place, let it sit for an hour or so and then start it up again. But if, say, I'm out running errands and making a lot of quick stops at different places, it invariably won't start up after the third or fourth stop. I have to wait up to an hour for it to start again. My brother suggests it may be "vapor lock" -- something about the fuel line getting overheated because it runs close to the engine? Does this make sense to you? It's a '95 Cherokee Sport with 104,000 miles on it.

6. KG

KG Active Member

Some have gear-driven cams.

7. KG

KG Active Member

OMG that much?

I don't know how much the average car costs to get it done at a shop, but I know you can get all the parts and fluids for like $60 if you are brave enough to do it youself.

8. three_bags_full

840 bones for two tires, two tie-rod ends, turned rotars and an alignment.

Thanks, Gateway Tire.

9. KG

KG Active Member

It could be the vapor lock thing he mentioned. That's when your gas turns to vapor before it goes through combustion in the engine. It makes the fuel system put more air and less fuel, and it's a crying shame, but combustion doesn't work off air alone. Ahhhhh wouldn't' that be nice if it did?

I don't know when they started using injector systems, but I figured they would be in a 1995 model. It shouldn't do it with an injector system because everything is setup to keep the fuel cooler.

And how on earth do you only have 104,000 miles on a 1995? I have a 1998 and I'm afraid to even admit how many miles I have already racked up.

10. KG

KG Active Member

I think my brain needs a higher fuel ratio for the combustion process to keep up today. ;D

I don't work on cars I just pay attention to the mechanics in the family when they talk about it.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Only had 3-4 years of regular duty then it became the car I drive just a few miles to the train station and back on M-F and with which I run errands on weekends. Googling the topic, it seems like the fuel pumps on these cars were put at the top rather than bottom of gas tanks, which can cause the problem. Thanks for the help.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

You know, we had a lot of fun tonight. But, there's nothing funny about...vapor lock. It's the third most common cause of
    stalling. So please, take care of your car and get it checked. I'm Joe Namath. Good night!

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted