1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Automotive question

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pencil Dick, May 9, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How do you get new tires, a brake job and alignment for $550?

Just two tires?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got your money's worth at least.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Yeah, just two tires.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, you spent a lot, but you really want your wheels all going in the same direction.

5. three_bags_full

The tires are pretty expensive.

6. KG

KG Active Member

They want to turn the rotors without putting on new shoes? Are they on crack?

The whole reason rotors end up needing turned is because as your shoes (brake pads) erode when used, they wear away unevenly. That causes little grooves to be put in the rotors. The grooves do have to be shaved down, aka the rotors turned, but if they do it without putting on new pads, the same uneven wear is still on the existing pads and will wear the same grooves in the rotors.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Damn you're good. Maybe we could have a permanent thread where you respond to all of our automotive queries?

8. KG

KG Active Member

Ms. Grease Monkey at your service.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

OK, Greasy.

So do some cars not have timing belts anymore and therefore don't need to worry about Pencil Dick's little problem?

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The shops around here don't even bother turning rotors, they just replace them. I thought was SOP in most places.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Some don't have timing belts. Mine, for example, has a timing chain. No worrying about that part every 60,000 miles (or whatever it says in your automotive manual).

PD, I can see the cost for the timing belt and installation, but a tune-up? I'm calling BS there. Usually, just change the oil, oil filter, rotate the tires, have a good (!) mechanic inspect things while the vehicle's up on the hoist. Throw in the occasional air filter and it should be fine ... of course understanding that every great once in a while the vehicle might need brake pads and tires.

But I would inquire as to what that place considers a "tune-up."

12. three_bags_full

Plugs and wires are normally part of a tune-up. That's why the procedure costs so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted