1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Authoritarian Idiocy, Part VII

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Jul 29, 2006.

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060728/ap_on_go_pr_wh/detainee_rights;_ylt=AqYkldIHXLiIeuVur6hg9CsD5gcF;_ylu=X3oDMTBjMHVqMTQ4BHNlYwN5bnN1YmNhdA--

This is police state stuff. Any American politician who doesn't laugh in the face of an administration daring to bring this up to a vote doesn't deserve the support of any patriot.
    Not today. Not tomorrow. Not ever.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The good news is that if shit like this goes through, we'll all be able to get Canadian green cards as political refugees.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The problem with detaining these people as long as the hostilities last is that there will probably always be terrorism and the hostilities will probably never end.

4. busuncle

busuncle Member

Yep, that's the problem with an ill-defined, never-ending war against an ill-defined, never-ending enemy.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Thanks for checking in, George Orwell. :-\

6. busuncle

busuncle Member

Please, call me Eric.

7. lono

lono Active Member

Jesus, that's scary stuff. WTF are they thinking?

8. leo1

leo1 Active Member

no offense, small potatoes, but duh!

this is the problem with the entire concept of enemy comabatants and gitmo and all that stuff. if we were fighting one or two countries - or even an actual war with an axis (not the axis of evil, but the ww2-like axis) i think fewer people would have a problem with this stuff.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What's the Bushies' problem against doing something like ... oh I don't know ....

CHARGING THEM WITH A CRIME, putting them on trial, and locking their asses up if found guilty?

Now THAT'S the American way.

But if we did that, all the renditions, torture, and secret prisons would come to light, wouldn't it?

D'oh! (slapping forehead)

10. Bat Bingo fiesta!
    It's all about keeping the real unAmerican stuff secret.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

None taken.
    But if that's something that is so obvious to even a simpleton such as myself, why doesn't the whole flag-waving, war-supporting crowd get it?
    Or maybe that's the whole idea.

12. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but we've won that whole war on drugs.... right?

Draft saved Draft deleted