1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Aunt sues nephew, 12, for six figures over broken wrist

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

This happens pretty frequently in New York. A variation is that the insurance company feels like it gets nowhere so if files the lawsuit on that person's behalf. In my little area, it's come up with people being bit by neighbors' dogs or kids getting burned at someone's backyard barbecue.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Worse. She works in HR.

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

4. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Like the McDonald's hot coffee case, there is usually much more to these lawsuits than what a simple headline implies. Not saying she's a great person or anything, but it's not some lady just suing an eight-year old. There's a reason. It might be a greedy, stupid reason. But there's a reason.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why would the homeowners' insurance pay for something when there was nothing defective with the home, or a hazard in the home? They could argue that the kid doesn't constitute a hazard.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not sure exactly. But I'm getting sued right now because a guy broke his ankle on my property. The insurance company tried to contact him two years ago when it first happened and said they would have paid medical had he returned the call, whether or not I was negligent. (They don't believe I was.)

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My homeowners insurance policy includes liability protection that is supposed to cover someone else being accidentally injured.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was right, this was entirely a procedural step as part of an insurance claim. Makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

Still, it would have been nice had that been properly explained to save this woman a social media shitstorm. Poor form by the CT Post, which started this all by taking a purely superficial look at this instead of providing the context. You'd think an editor at the paper in Connecticut, the insurance capital of the world, would have thought of this.

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I want to know how treating a broken wrist cost $127,000?

Does she not have health insurance at work that would cover at least some of the costs?

10. The Big Ragu

So this is where I get a bit lost. She is out there on the Today Show today saying, "It was presented to me as a technicality. I was just trying to sue the insurance company to cover my medical bills."

I am not a tort law expert, so someone please correct me if I am wrong. But if it was a matter of trying to simply get the insurance company to pay a claim it was denying (what she is out there claiming now), why would she be filing a suit that argued the extent of her injuries -- for example, "I couldn't hold my hors d'oeuvres plate; I have had trouble walking the stairs in my building."

All that matters if it is the kind of suit she is saying, is whether or not the injury is covered by the liability clause in the insurance policy. How bad the injury was should have no bearing -- either the insurance policy covers what happened to her or it doesn't, right?

Otherwise, wasn't she trying to sue for damages (pain and suffering) on top of simply getting her medical bills (which were likely largely handled by her health insurance, leaving less than $127,000 for her out of pocket) covered?

Does anyone know the answer to those questions?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Her health insurance company might have been/likely was subrogating the claim. A couple of years ago my wife fell (in our living room) and broke both bones in her forearm. Emergency room, extensive surgery, therapy, etc., etc., took the sticker price to something like $70K. My health insurance covered it all, but the company was none too subtle about trying to see if it could pin the bill on someone else (i.e., was it at someone else's home?).

There's also this increasingly prevalent (as I understand it) dynamic called balance billing. Say the woman got treated in her network, which had a contractually arranged price with the providers she chose. Her insurance company might try to subrogate her claim to recover the amount it paid out, but the providers might sue whoever's responsible for the difference (between the contracted amount and the billed amount). Thus, her lawsuit (with its over-dramatization of the damages she suffered) had to be thus-and-such of a dollar amount to ensure she walked away financially whole.

12. The Big Ragu

That still doesn't add up for me, if I am following you correctly. How does that scenario end up with HER suing her nephew? If the insurance company was trying to subrogate the claim, wouldn't it cover her, and then seek reimbursement from either her nephew or his homeowners insurance?

Once her medical claim was covered, if they wanted to subrogate the claim, that is on them -- not on her. In this lawsuit she was the plaintiff, not her medical insurance company.

Draft saved Draft deleted