1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

augusten burroughs

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rusty Shackleford, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I just read 'Possible Side Effects' while on vacation, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. He's very funny with a knack for telling a good story (although I can't imagine how he remembers some of what he does -- I guess he takes some license in parts).

I'm going to pick up 'Running With Scissors' soon. If it's anything like Side Effects, I'll be happy.

Anybody else read his work or been to one of his speaking engagements or signings?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Running With Scissors is a doozy, let me tell you. The life this kid led... Not sure I believe everything in it; some of the subjects within the book claim Burroughs fabricated stories.

Pick up Dry instead. Darn good book about what happens after rehab, and how an addicitive personality works.

3. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I've read Running With Scissors and Dry. While I enjoyed Dry a lot more than I thought I would, I think Running With Scissors is better.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have read ALL of his stuff, even Sellevision. Exchanged some e-mails with him as well.

If I could quit my job and be an Augusten Burroughs sycophant professionally, I would.

I think Dry was my favorite. His new one, A Wolf At The Table, was really really troubling.

5. pa writer

pa writer Member

I read Running with Scissors, and -- though I enjoyed it -- I thought he was very derivative of David Sedaris.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't think that he's derivative of Sedaris at all.

Burroughs' humor comes from a much darker place.

Sedaris is silly. Plus, he's really an essayist, not a memoirist or a novelist.

That said, I agree with the others who thought Dry was Burroughs' best work.

Draft saved Draft deleted