1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta National admits two women members

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Same guys who got quoted in what I recall was a South Carolina paper as Heywood Jablome.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's Martha Burk's fault that a bunch of sexists kept on being sexist. That's rich

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it's not an unusual occurrence.

Look at politics -- which this was, in a sense.

No politician wants to be pushed into making a decision (like changing their position on gay marriage maybe). They want it to look like decisions were theirs, and made for the "right" reasons, not in response to outside pressures.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I think it's more plausible that Martha Burk had more to do with keeping women out of Augusta the last 10 years than her 10-year-old protest forced them to add two women this year.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's 9 years since the protest. I think that any outside pressures were gone a long time ago.

6. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Augusta just wanted to do things their own way. I don't think they wanted to look like they folded from the pressure of either Martha Burk or the media.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I remember when the Burk protest thing came out in 2003, I did a localized story for our paper on golf clubs in the area and their membership and policies. Everyone I interviewed couldn't understand what the big deal was and very few knew anything of Augusta National's policies until the Burk stuff made the news.

Oh, well, life goes on. Good for them. Bet her is that Ellen Nordgren ain't getting membership anytime soon.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Who is Ellen Nordgren?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Let's say everything you say is true.

That's Martha Burk's fault?

If true, how about calling it what it is ... a cowardly act by Augusta National to not look bad instead of doing the right thing when the right thing was called for.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Just want to point out that these are conservative women, which, to many, means they are not women -- or even human -- at all. We've still got a long way to go.

11. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Got anything to back up this claim? Or did you get the stats from noted researcher Otto Yerass?

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good leftist rant but Darla Moore, according to multiple bios of her (none of the Wiki) has never revealed her party affiliation and has donated to both Republicans and Dems in state races. She was recently fired from the Board of Trustees at South Carolina (her alma mater and a school she's donated $75 million to since 1998) because Gov. Nikki Haley (GOP) wanted a crony on the board who donated bucks to her campaign: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/24/darla-moore-ousted-univer_n_840288.html

Moore's reaction to her removal: she donated $5 mill to South Carolina to start an aerospace research department and had it named after Ronald McNair, the Challenge astronaut who is from Haley's home town.

Draft saved Draft deleted