1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta Maine Help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 8, 2013.

1. So going to Augusta Maine for a meeting on Friday. I plan to drive up to Portland on Thursday night but plan to stay in Augusta Friday night. Never been there. Anyone have any recommendations?

On Saturday I plan to drive down Route 1 to catch the Maine and NH coasts. Might even walk on a beach or two.

Also I love pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a friend in my unit from Maine. If you PM me some specific questions and likes, etc., I'll shoot them to him in an email.

3. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

While in Portland you should really stop at Duckfat and eat some delicious fries with a myriad of dipping sauces. If you're into that sort of thing...

Also, if you're doing the coast, I'd recommend hitting Portsmouth,NH. There's a great breakfast place there called the Friendly Toast.

The only downside of a winter visit to Maine/NH is that many of the seafood shack type places have closed for the season.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

god beats me to it with Friendly Toast, although you can get it closer to Boston (well, Cambridge) if you desire. Food is great. Cleanliness is optional.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I imagine the chowda will be outstanding.

6. Was just looking for a restaurant or bar recommendation in Augusta.

People forget how huge Maine is. I'm good with Portland - know the city well and also good with tips for the coast. As a life-long New Englander - just have never been to Augusta.

7. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Fair enough-- sorry for assuming you were not from the region.

And, Maine is huge...one day I want to make the trip all the way up to Presque Isle.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Say hello to Stephen King for me.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

See if you can get a cheese and pimento sandwich at Augusta National.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Tell Martha Burk I said hello.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Is Ed Muskie still alive? If so you can go chat with him about '72.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

According to Mark Shields:
    Jim, before Ed Muskie, there was no Democratic Party in name. He and Frank Coffin, the former Congressman, former federal district judge, are the fathers, the parents of the modern Democratic Party. Remember this. Maine voted before any other state in the union. They used to hold their elections in September. In September of 1954, Maine, one of the two states that Alf Landon had carried against Frank Roosevelt, elected this young Polish, son of Polish immigrants, Catholic, Democratic governor. It electrified the country, it shocked the country. Ed Muskie went on from there to be elected, to be reelected in a landslide, the first Democrat ever popularly elected from the state of Maine in its history. What ill prepared him for a national campaign was that the very strength he brought to the legislative process, that of patience, perseverance, listening to the other side, tenacity, are not a premium in a presidential contested field, multi-candidate. That's where the sound bite, the quick jump, the ability to smooz and all the rest of it really count. Ed Muskie before 1972, when he ran for the presidency, had never been in a Democratic primary in his life. He had never run against other Democrats and competed for Democratic primary votes. I think that as much as anything, the very strengths that he brought to the Senate leadership that he's so historically demonstrated, were almost liabilities, as he sought the presidency.

Draft saved Draft deleted