1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Augusta Chronicle Minor League Sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tommy_Dreamer, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

STATEMENT OF THE JOB: Minor league sports writer, focusing primarily on coverage of Augusta Lynx (hockey) and Augusta Green Jackets (baseball) and Augusta Colts (indoor football) teams. Writer will provide coverage of teams year-round and will be available for other assignments during down time for other assignments and desk work.

JOB QUALIFICATIONS:

EDUCATION: Undergraduate college degree
    EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING: Two-three years experience (preferred) in daily newspaper work, particularly in covering professional or minor league sports.
    OTHER: Knowledge of Associated Press style; good grammatical skills; knowledge of desk/rim work.

JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
    Oversee coverage of Lynx and Green Jackets and Colt teams. This includes daily coverage, preparing a weekly notes/stats package in season, and keeping up with developments year-round.

Be available during down time to cover other events and assist on desk/rim.

Assist with prep coverage during football season and as needed throughout the year.

Is responsible for planning and filing a news budget for each day, and planning and filing a weekend news budget.

Keeping track of time worked, attending to all other required paperwork required paperwork relating to time off, and any other paperwork requirements added by company policy changes.

Takes part in TV reports, online chats and other multimedia efforts.

Is responsible for having a working phone and listed phone number and working transportation.

Is responsible for following all company rules and procedures, including dress code and work station appearance.

Performs other duties as assigned.

Mail resumes to
    Sports Editor John Boyette
    725 Broad Street
    Augusta, Ga., 30901

NOTE: PM me for more information.

2. I don't know much about the paper, but the job sounds like a decent gig (though in an entirely different context, "knowledge of rim work" would be terrifying). I hear there's a pretty good golf tournament in Augusta...

For those who are concerned with such things, the paper is owned by Morris. I forget if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Desk work is required on some nights when the copy desk is short-handed.

It is owned by Morris and it's subjective if it's good or bad. Depends on who you ask.

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Year-round coverage? Will this poor sap get any vacation?

5. Tommy_Dreamer

You do get vacation lol. Just hope the Lynx and GreenJackets both miss the playoffs. If they don't they kind of run into each other.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

TD, I'm assuming there isn't a ton of travel with this one. You guys have seemed to go more and more local, and I'd guess travel isn't part of the deal.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

No traveling unless they get to their respective league title series. Did send the guy that's leaving to Lakewood, N.J., for last year's SAL Championship series.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Why would the person need a listed phone number?

9. Tommy_Dreamer

I suppose so coaches can contact you? I don't really know. I never asked about that one either.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Maybe the paper wants reporters to be a bigger part of the community ???

11. John

John Well-Known Member

Just seems strange. I haven't had a home phone in three or four years. I don't believe Athens had any rules about that.

12. I thought Augusta added the guy who got laid off when Morris shut down its Atlanta bureau...Or did that never pan out?

Draft saved Draft deleted