1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn University beat writer Opelika-Auburn News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Szvetitz, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

The Opelika-Auburn News is looking to hire an Auburn University beat reporter as soon as possible.

I'm looking for someone who can step in and deliver right away.
    Must not only be able to work in a seriously competitive beat, but thrive.

Must be able to provide up-to-the-minute stories and information to go out across three different multimedia platforms (newspaper, online and TV). Blogging and producing video will also be a key component of the job description.

Candidates will cover all Auburn University sports -- revenue and Olympic.

The beat reporter will also be asked to chip in with some preps, especially during high school football season. Some desk work will also be required.
    (We're a small shop, most of the time it's all hands on deck.)

At least three years experience in sports at a daily newspaper, including at least one year covering a college beat.

The Auburn University beat is the newspaper's most important, and Collin Mickle is leaving some big shoes to fill.

Please send cover letter, resume, five clips and three references to mszvetitz@oanow.com

Questions can also go to that e-mail address.

Thanks,
    Mike Szvetitz
    Sports Editor
    Opelika-Auburn News

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Mike ... where's the current guy headed?

And to answer the question for others, looks like circ. is abour 15,000.

3. Mike Szvetitz

Mike Szvetitz Member

Ducky,
    Collin is headed to Pascagoula, Miss., to run preps.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Lots of turnover on the Auburn beat with y'all and Columbus losing your beat writers. I hear this guy named reporter1 is "totally your man."

5. BottomlessPit

BottomlessPit Member

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Interesting. Indeed.

rb

7. WS

WS Member

Hope Media General lets you make the hire.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He's Hired!

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Can we try our best not to be terribly goofy on job threads? There aren't a ton of jobs out there. We like SEs like Mike to come here and post jobs when they have them. Trust me, they don't want to wade through bullshit to get to serious posts and questions.
    Thanks very much.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

My apologies to Mike and Mike; I didn't mean to start us down a path of silliness. If the timing were a little better, I might throw my hat in this ring. I figure college beats at hometown papers like this one are about as secure as newspaper jobs get these days.

Best of luck to those who apply, and to Mike, who surely has a whole lot of resume reading in his immediate future and a very short amount of time to find a beat writer.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

No worries. No one poster meant any harm. But one comment leads to another and then another *** hell, that's what I'm doing now!
    Carry on.

12. Mickle

Mickle New Member

This is a good job for the right person, and Mike is an absolutely outstanding boss. If you're interested, feel free to PM me with questions.

-Collin.

Draft saved Draft deleted