1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn to erect statue of Cam Newton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Doesn't Eddie Sutton have a statue at Arkansas?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Basketball doesn't count! I mean non-sports related. You know, is there a Faulkner statue at Ole' Miss or something like that.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Cam was at Auburn for, what, six months?

4. Mizzougrad96

I'll bet he attended at least six classes during that time.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Big difference: their statue didn't grab $200,000, never stole property, went to class and graduated.

6. Mizzougrad96

Agree 100 percent. I'm anything but a UF fan, but every indication is that Tebow and Wuerffel for that matter, were as classy as you'll see at the college level.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

But didn't Sullivan and Bo spend four years at Auburn and earn degrees? As supposed to just a one season pit stop squeezed in between UF, Blinn Junior College and the NFL. Wouldn't be too hard for Auburn to differentiate Cam from those two to justify holding off on the statue for now.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

At some schools there's a five-year waiting period before they retire your jersey, similar to most halls of fame. Why doesn't Auburn just create some kind of similar policy for Heisman statues? I'm guessing the ceremony and all means more to the players if they've been away from campus for a few years and it gives you time to see if Newton is going to wind up in the same category as Reggie Bush.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jackson did get a degree, but not until 1995. But you're right in that he was there all four years, and certainly not a mercenary like Newton.

10. Michael_ Gee

OK, I'm trading down now. Statues of major donors on SEC campuses? Confederate generals? The guy who invented chemical fertilizer? ANYONE but sports guys?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

They don't usually build statues of major donors, they name buildings after them.

But there is a statue of James Meredith at Ole Miss:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Michael_ Gee

OK, that's a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted