1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn can't sell football tickets/operate in black

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rockbottom, Nov 13, 2014.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Really? My large midwest college didn't have football.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I'm sure plenty of others went to schools without a football team and had great experiences. But for me, I wanted to go to a school where football was a big deal.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I went to a D-III school with a good, not great football team. I usually went to 1-2 games a year. A fun way to spend a Saturday afternoon before the house parties at night, and the price for admission to the game was perfect. Free with student ID.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I realize this is mostly irrelevant to your point, but I couldn't help but flag it. A four-hour round trip requires two tanks of gas? I think you should worry about your car before your football experience. Even at an average of 65 miles per hour, a four-hour round trip would mean you are traveling a maximum of 260 miles to watch your football game. If you have a 12-gallon gas tank, that would mean that you are getting an average of less than 11 miles per gallon, in which case, I'd suggest that there are more efficient ways of cutting expenses than cutting out college football trips.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

"A couple of hours" was an estimate, not a hard fact. It's closer to 2:30 or 2:45 with clear sailing.
    It's about 320 miles round trip -- not counting puttering around town -- which requires one fill up before leaving and another upon returning (I usually get around 350 miles per 13-gallon tank, or around 30 mpg). It only takes one tank of gas to make the actual trip, but if I want to get there and then get to work the next day I need to buy two.
    Even if it was 260 miles and a 12-gallon tank, that'd still be about 22 mpg, BTW.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Large? Define "large."

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

6 inches

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

He's a recent graduate of Michigan.

Hi-yo!

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No wonder Victoria is bitter. :D

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

It has a enrollment of over 15,000. One of the many large schools in the midwest with DI basketball and no football program.

Draft saved Draft deleted