1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Auburn beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kevin Price, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reporter1

reporter1 Member

No problems JPS, and mid-30s, low 40s in Alabama should go a long way, although I haven't been there in awhile and don't know for sure. No doubt a great gig for sure.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

McClatchy used to be a great company. It may be OK in Columbus, but some other places in the chain may not be so quick to the company's defense right now.

As for Kevin Price, he has come across as one of the good ones in my limited dealings with him. My paper and his exchanged stories one season - I'm familiar with one of his staffers and the person who covered one of the paper's beats beat was very, very cooperative and helpful. I tried to return the favor ... tried to reciprocate as best I could.

Major thumbs up.

3. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

I applied as soon as I saw this one posted. But like most others, I don't have that required major college experience. It's interesting how papers won't hire you because they always want that experience covering major college, but no paper is willing to offer a college gig to someone without that experience.

4. jps

jps Active Member

wouldn't say no papers are, rb. as with any job, if you impress enough and show enough promise, potential employers will overlook other areas in which you are lacking.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ranger - a lotta people with that experience aren't employed right now. i wouldn't expect it to get any better anytime soon.

6. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

It always amazes me when jobs like this are posted. In advance of the short story to follow, he was probably one of the best writers I've read in my short career. I had a good friend from college who applied for a D2 job in nebraska while back, and they turned him down because they wanted someone with college experience. D2!!! Seriously! What's it take in this business. Maybe I should go back to television.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hired a kid out of college for a d2 gig a coupla years back. he did a good job with it even though he was a missouri grad.

so, it can be done.

8. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

Its good to hear someone is willing to hire a young gun, even if it is a young gun. If you ask me, papers get too caught up in the experience and not worry enough about the skills. If a kid can write, that should be enough. Sure, I'm a younger guy but just because someone hasn't done it before, it doesn't mean they can't. Then again, this the same argument people have been making for decades. This may be a rant, but I need to get it out of my drunken head.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

dude, if anyone is here for you to let loose on a drunken rant, it's tom petty. :D

10. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

Well if anybody likes to get drunk and rant, it would be this guy. Ok maybe just the drunk part. Then again, that's what sports writers do.

11. jps

jps Active Member

rb, depends on the school. many d2s are pretty big time. in nebraska, I'd say chadron tops the list. (omaha and kearney are also good in many areas, I think).

frankly, there are some d3s that are the same. are they on the same level as the top 25s of the world? no. but their paper, if they are a top-tier program, may cover them as if they are. and that can take some experience to do well.

that said, just keep going after stuff. I've gotten gigs I wasn't technically experienced enough for. but I made a point each time of saying that, yes, I lack that skill or experience or what have you, but I'm above average here and here and here, and I will learn and learn quickly in the other areas.

12. dargan

dargan Active Member

A genuine thank you for posting that, Tomas. Good to see reinforcement by veterans that younger candidates do have a shot after all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.