1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attn. Miracle On Ice fans ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by cougargirl, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Don't feel dumb, Rosie. I thought the same thing.

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Great call. Game was outside, I think.

I grew up around a whole lot of people drinking Shlivovitz...if it was at the Yugoslav Hall there were Tambritzas, I bet.

I think it's Schneider ;)

3. Good catch, Cougar ...

4. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

Actually, the U.S. played the Soviet Union in the semifinal game. America won 3-2, setting up the gold medal game with Czechoslovakia. The U.S. fell behind early. According to one story I read, a Soviet coach came in the locker room between periods and suggested the American players inhale some oxygen to get going. Something must have worked. The U.S. scored six unanswered goals in the third period to win, 9-4.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

You need a fact checker, Martin. Or some ginkgo biloba to improve your memory.

There were no "semifinals" back then. The USSR game was in round-robin play in the medal round -- since the tournament was not single elimination back then. Yes, it was the second-to-last game the U.S. played, but it was not a true semifinals since the medal round was conducted in round-robin format.

And the final game of medal-round play was against Finland, with the U.S. winning 4-2 to secure the gold by virtue of the victory.

They beat the Czechs 7-3 in their second game of the tournament in regular round-robin pool play.

6. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Ignore me, I'm a idiot. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted