1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention fans of The Wire -- Read this David Simon interview

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

http://www.slate.com/id/2154694/

Fascinating. If you want to really understand what the show is about, this is the best explanation I've ever seen.

Some spoilers near the end if you haven't seen Season 2 or 3, but nothing about this year, although it does seem clear that Simon is hinting that there is another side to Marlo Stanfield that we haven't seen yet.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Awesome.

Just awesome.

3. Dedo

Dedo Member

Incredible stuff. Thanks for the link. I think I might admire David Simon as much as I've ever admired a writer, in any form.

4. MCEchan36

MCEchan36 Guest

Can you imagine the possibilities if they introduced a Latino presence on the show? Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit.

5. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Compare and contrast this:

With the ruminations of another great American master of drama:

[​IMG]

6. Great interview. Loved the stuff about The Greek, who remains the coldest dude ever on the show in my opinion.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thanks for that DD.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

David Simon = effing stud

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Greek being used to represent pure, sociopathic capitalism was something I'd thought of but never heard out loud.

Within the ocntext of the show, that makes him the devil, doesn't it? Does that mean they'll have to bring him back in season five?

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Thematically, it's about the very simple idea that, in this Postmodern world of ours, human beings—all of us—are worth less. We're worth less every day, despite the fact that some of us are achieving more and more. It's the triumph of capitalism.

Perfect summation.

We are nations of consumers now, not nations of citizens.

The wealthiest=the most valuable. The poorest=the most dispensible.

That's what happens when people allow the corporate agenda to drive public policy.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Survival of the fittest.

12. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Where fittest = richest, and being rich has as much to do with luck as anything else. I mean, our president is rich for God's sake. It's not like he earned it.

Draft saved Draft deleted