1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Attention Canucks and Versus watchers: "The Tournament" coming to DVD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Cook, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/Tournament/dp/B000H5VACU/sr=1-1/qid=1166593283/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-1395732-9361547?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Lists the release date as Jan. 30.

I am extremely excited about this. As is my wife, who can now clear "The Tournament" episodes off the DVR.

"The Tournament," for those who don't know, was a CBC series nominally about a youth hockey team, but it was a searingly hilarious look at sports parents. The more I get involved in youth sports through my kids, the funnier the show gets. The six episodes of the first series were shown on American television through OLN/Versus in June, never to be seen again.

2. I heard great things about this one.
    Isn't there some early ice time canoodling involved?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was a HUGE fan of this show. I will definitely get the DVD>

The writers and producers thought they were being way over the top portraying idiotic hockey parents. They weren't even close. CBC, in its infinite wisdom cancelled it after two seasons, the dumbasses.

Apparently the writers are down in the States flogging the idea to to one of the networks. However, it's baseball, not hockey.

"We're a funeral home so it makes perfect sense to sponsor a hockey team"

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When I have to wake my son at 5 a.m. so we can make it to one of his wrestling tournaments, I think to myself, a la Barry McConnell, "Champions sleep when they retire." Except that my son is the one bouncing out of bed, and I'm the one dragging ass.

Makes sense the U.S. one would be baseball, though the beauty of a show about sports parents is that you could put it in any sports, and there wouldn't be any difference in how the parents act. I'm amazed at how intense some of the wrestling parents are. I mean, it's not like your kid can get a $10 million-a-year contract someday doing half-nelsons. Heck, your kid is barely able to get a scholarship anymore, so many colleges have cut wrestling.

Draft saved Draft deleted