1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta teachers convicted in grade-inflation scandal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So because some public schools -- mostly in poor areas filled with immigrants -- are failing, it's OK to say all public schools are bad and getting worse. OK. Seems logical.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You've never experienced Shakespeare until you've heard him in the original Klingon.

[​IMG]

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

And one reason they don't teach it is because Math, Science and Technology classes are all the rage. The hell with English, History, Art, Music and such pantywaist classes.

Any guesses which side of the Liberal vs. Conservative spectrum pushes that view?

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I understand that, and I've heard that defense before. To which, I respond, maybe we should just teach the useful and current languages better. There are few things as piss-poor as foreign-language education in America, and teaching a whole other useless language on top of that isn't a solution.

I also have a hard time believing that Latin class would give one a better understanding of grammar and vocabulary than, say, well-taught grammar and vocabulary classes.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We'll use utility to address this:

1. $1 <= duck
    2. $1 <= fucked-up duck
    3. duck <= fuck
    by extension ...
    4. fucked-up duck > fuck
    ergo ...
    5. fucked-up duck > duck
    Q.E.D.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I think he overstated it, but I also don't think he meant every school was failing. He said the "system" was in a downward spiral.

You do raise an interesting question though, is our current immigration policy/enforcement of policy hurting our education system? We have elites patting themselves on the back for supporting immigration, but they don't bear the costs -- in fact they often benefit from the cheap labor. Meanwhile, poor families have their schools flooded with non-English speaking students who overwhelm the school, take up resources, and impact the education of everyone in the school.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Nice try, Mr. Elite. Next.

8. YankeeFan

Well, in the current economy, it is critical that we improve the teaching of STEM subjects. That doesn't mean it should be at the expense of the humanities -- especially in grade school.

But, I can think of numerous articles about struggling millennial, with their art history degrees who are struggling and can't pay off their student debt.

At some point, education should help prepare students for the job market.

(And, that's not really how higher education began in America. The main profession Universities trained students for was one as a minister/clergy/theology. College was for the children of rich, elites, who kids were expected to learn the humanities, prior to entering the family business. To expand that system to every student in current day America doesn't make sense.)

9. YankeeFan

LOL.

Mike Pence refuses to answer a "Yes or No" question from George Stephenopolis, and it's proof of something.

But, you don't want to answer my question. Why? Afraid the answer would conflict with your support for other policies?

It really is a simple yes or no question. Is our current immigration policy (and/or enforcement of said policy) hurting our poorest schools, and the students who attend them?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There aren't failing school systems as much there are failing, poverty-stricken neighborhoods (with all of the attendant problems, i.e. lack of nutrition, drugs, gang violence, uneducated and inattentive parenting, inadequate healthcare) whose schools are dramatically underfunded by state legislatures relative to other school systems. You can turn over the administrators and teachers in those buildings as many times as you want and you won't touch the problem until the issues associated with poverty and unequal funding are addressed.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Our immigration policy sure isn't hurting them. They would struggle in the current situation anyway.

Let me ask you this. Do you think America's immigration policy going back hundreds of years has helped or hurt this country?

12. YankeeFan

That they would struggle anyway doesn't exclude the possibility that the current policy is hurting them. You know that, and it avoids answering the question.

Of course immigration has helped our country immensely. Has anyone argued that?

Draft saved Draft deleted