1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta Journal-Constitution (2), Copy Editor, Designer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Dec 17, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Courtesy of the ACES listserv....

COPY EDITOR (SLOT), The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Nothing gets by you. Holes in stories, misspelled words, grammatical errors and other
    writing wrongs won't pass your eyes unnoticed.

You are the ideal copy editor candidate for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Our readers demand accuracy, fairness, taste and clarity and the preferred applicant will
    help deliver that by making sure our articles adhere to and exceed AJC standards.

Copy editors are responsible for presenting articles to readers that are clear and
    concise; writing headlines that are engaging, entertaining and enlightening; and
    crafting cutlines that are informative. The applicant should be experienced working in
    slot or being the final read and have strong time management skills. He or she will
    ensure readers have an enjoyable experience every time they pick up the newspaper.

Position Qualifications:
    * Bachelor's degree preferred.
    * Five or more years of professional journalism experience in a newsroom environment
    required.
    * Experience as a SLOT copy editor preferred.
    * Demonstrated ability to edit at a level that meets AJC story standards required.

Please contact:
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
    Rana L. Cash, Newsroom recruiter
    72 Marietta St., N.W.
    8th Floor
    Atlanta, Ga. 30303
    rcash@ajc.com
    Deadline: Dec. 30

DESIGNERS -- SPORTS AND NEWS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is seeking two designers -- a passionate News
    Designer and a Sports Designer capable of bringing smart visual packaging to life. The
    candidates should be visual journalists who can originate and execute creative cover
    solutions under deadline pressure, and who can carry that look throughout inside
    pages. You will work closely with section editors, slots and artists/photographers. The
    AJC has embarked on an industry-leading reorganization of the newsroom to be
    followed by a redesign and increased press color capacity. The role of designer is more
    critical than ever, and now is the time to get involved. Strong communication,
    collaboration and planning skills are a must. InDesign is a plus and Photoshop skills are
    required.

Position Qualifications:
    Bachelor's degree preferred
    Five or more years of professional journalism experience in a newsroom environment
    required.
    Demonstrated ability to edit/design at a level that meets AJC design standards required.
    Experience as a page designer preferred.

QUALIFIED APPLICANTS Please send resumes and cover letters to:
    Rana L. Cash, Newsroom recruiter
    72 Marietta St., N.W.
    Atlanta, Ga. 30303
    rcash@ajc.com
    Note: Please no phone calls. Links to work samples are acceptable, but please do not
    send work sample attachments unless requested.
    Deadline: Dec. 30

2. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

FWIW, they mean business about the five-years-experience thing. i tried to land this one way back when with only 2+ post-college under my belt (despite being promoted to a department head), and they didn't give me the time of day.

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

Wait ... didn't the AJC just lay off/buy out a bunch of people?

4. satchmo

satchmo Member

Yeah, so you won't be making as much as those people were.

5. Georgiaguy

Georgiaguy Member

It seems like the AJC wants to become the worlds largest shopper paper. Their ads on television make them look like nothing but a way to find sales. And their coverage has really dropped off. They are also trying to get younger by buying out and hiring younger (cheaper) people, but the paper still looks the same. They never make a drastic change in look. However after reading the paper the other day I think I see why these jobs are open. I am at best a middle of the road copy editor, and I found 30 mistakes in the sports section one day last week.

6. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

I'm not saying that newspapers shouldn't push content first, but circulation is nosediving, so I would look for alternative ways to get subscribers. I would run TV ads pushing the value of paying less than five or 10 bucks a week and coming away with coupons worth a coupla hundred dollars, especially those coupons used at the grocery store every week.

My marketing message would be: Who wouldn't subscribe for those values? Especially for the middle class and for people really looking to save some major bucks. Furniture, car repairs, household services, whatever.

Appeal to the masses and make them realize that your $5 investment each week finds you big deals all across the board, wherever you spend your money, and all you have to do is clip some coupons.

Build your circulation back that way, if you can, and then you'll have enough dough to plow back into content. And they're bound to read the paper when they get it anyway, but the main push should be to get the paper in their hands, however they want it.

"Wanna save $100 every week? Buy our paper."

Sell to the consumer. The readers will follow.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

While that would seem to make sense, I've been on a couple newspapers that proclaimed atop A-1: "$240 in coupons in today's newspaper!" There was no noticeable effect on circulation.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Coupon teases and the current, disgusting trend of making A-1 nothing but monstrous photos and tease-refer boxes doesn't work. Some Sunday newspaper fronts look like an editor, designer and photographer dropped acid together and puked on the computer screen.

Readers want news and information. Newspapers should give it to them.

Back to the AJC, didn't it just hire a sports desk design person about two months ago? Are they refilling slots from the recent blowup or are these new positions? Just curious.

9. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

No hires for a long time in sports design.

One designer just left for online after another left in the buyouts.

Currently there's only four sports designers.

One candidate was in a couple weeks ago but haven't heard anything recently.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wasn't Rana L. Cash one of the DMN layoff casualties, or did she leave before?

Draft saved Draft deleted