1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta airport

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Big Buckin' agate_monkey, Sep 10, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Pittsburgh has free wi-fi; Logan does not. That pisses me off.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Free wi-fi is pretty rare, I think...

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I would have to agree with you on this one. I have flown a good bit over the past couple years and I haven't found one airport that has it free.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I know the Columbia, SC airport has it. Rocking chairs too.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

God, I love the internet.

http://www.wififreespot.com/airport.html

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Twice in my life I've missed connecting flights. Both times were in Atlanta. My flight home Wednesday night is connecting in Atlanta with a 40-minute span. And, yes, I have to check luggage.

Everyone's good thoughts will be appreciated.

And, as an add-on, Detroit's new Northwest terminal is as good as flying gets. Even if you have to take one of the smaller regional jets, that concourse has a Fuddrucker's. In the main concourse, decent bars and restaurants up and down the concourse.

Also, if I recall correctly, Jacksonville's airport has free WiFi. Here's a tip: If you can sit on the hallway floor outside one of the clubs (Northwest's World Club, Delta's Crown Club, Continental's President's Club, etc.) you can usually pick up their free WiFi. I'm a World Club member, which gets me in a bunch of them on reciprocal agreements, and I see people sitting outside the clubs with their laptops a lot of the time..

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

O'Hare is the only place where the gate agents have told me that "weather" was the reason my flight was canceled while it's sky blue outside and I was flying to Los Angeles in June.

Detroit's Northwest terminal also has a great sushi bar.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

A lot of smaller airports have free wi-fi. The one I fly out of does.

I rarely have more than 45 minutes between flights, and I've missed one flight in the last 10 years (we were almost an hour late leaving b/c the de-icing machine was having issues).

And I hate the Denver Airport and the one in Vegas. Absolute dreck.

I normally try to catch my connections in Salt Lake. I love that airport.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I had an unfortunate long layover at Hartsfield when I had hoped to be home to watch an Eastern Conference finals game in the Stanley Cup playoffs. I went to 12 bars/restaurants that had TVs and either they didn't have Versus (well, at the time it was OLN) or refused to change the channel to the hockey game. No Atlanta team was playing at the time, but there was a NASCAR race going on (it was a Sunday) and there was an NBA playoff game.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Did they steal the rocking chairs idea from Charlotte, or vice versa? Either way, it's a nice touch.

11. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Since I work at ATL, I have to chime in here. The airport is simple to navigate compared to most. I know there's a lot of people (hell, we have 250,000 that come through here everyday) and it can be a hassle. But as long as you're prepared, you can get through the airport, no problem.

For people that have problems in ATL, it has a lot to do with the air traffic control system delaying flights in the area, especially out of Florida in the summer and the northeast in the winter. If the system was updated to a digital based system, we'd all see better results. As a flying passenger, you pay a tax on every ticket to fund the system, but coporate planes don't pay these taxes and use the system almost 33% of capacity. It's worse in the area during Kentucky Derby, The Masters, etc.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

They have rocking chairs at Logan also.

Draft saved Draft deleted