1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atkins

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by budcrew08, Jul 1, 2008.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

My fiancee and I are thinking about trying the Atkins diet. She did it a few years ago and says she lost a good deal of weight, but it came back.

Has anyone tried it? It is good or just a lot of fail?

Any tips or recipes? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

If there's another thread with Atkins, I didn't find one.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My parents went on it a few years ago. My mom couldn't stick with it, but my dad did and lost a bunch of weight. They're off it now, and I'm sure the weight is back. I think that's one of those diets where you've got to be on it constantly, otherwise it won't do anything long-term.

Plus, and I'm no doctor and am only going on what I've heard, I don't think it's the healthiest of diets, either.

3. It works. It definitely works. Use it to lose a bunch of weight right off the bat, then start exercising and eating sensibly afterward and you should be good to go.

I always found it to be a great kickstart.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Atkins works if you want to take weight off (i.e., want to lose 10 pounds before the high school reunion). But I don't think you can really stay on it for long periods of time and once you go off, it is inevitable that there will be a carb binge in your future.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

That's what happens to eveyone on Atkins. Eventually, you'll start eating carbs again, unless, that is, you want to kill yourself first. A "diet" without carbs is not healthy.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I did it for a couple months once, and lost a lot. It eventually all came back, but it took awhile. A year at least, and I didn't do anything to maintain it.

I agree with the "kick start" philosophy. I realize that to stay in shape long term, I'll have to eat better, work out more and can't rely on any gimmicks like Atkins. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get close to your ideal weight with something like Atkins, then try and maintain than it is to work down to that weight the long way.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Dieting shouldn’t be about simply losing weight. It should be about adjusting your lifestyle.

The Atkins diet is crap. Your body requires carbohydrates. If you don’t eat it, your body will starve on it and thus eats itself. That is the “weight loss.” It isn’t real loss since you are basically eating yourself in an unhealthy manner.

A proper diet is based on 50% carbohydrates, 30% protein and 20% fat (not the trans-fat, though). Your body needs this to function every day. How many calories you eat total is based on weight and the amount you exercise.

If you aren’t doing any exercise at all, then you are really just wasting your time.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Atkins is not about not eating any carbs, it's about eating as many as possible up to the point you're not gaining or losing. I've been at a plateau for a while, but I haven't gained back. PM for tips and such.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lost 10 pounds a couple of months ago, most of its back -- damn sugar and starch. Still, I dropped 30 on it a few years ago.

10. dooley_womack1

And the theory behind the diet is, the body burns carbs before it burns fat. The fewer carbs it has to burn, the quicker it can get to the fat. From personal experience, eating carb-filled stuff makes you crave more carb-filled stuff. So it is a lifestyle change to limit carbs. I will be counting my intake for the rest of my life.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

What do you know, dools, you're eating yourself?

12. dooley_womack1

Wouldn't quite say I'm eating myself. And Pall, you surely don't skimp on Old Style.

Draft saved Draft deleted