1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes who did not speak to the media

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Dec 12, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't really know your exact media background. That's why I put it that way. I'm just saying that given your background, I'd think you would understand that there is no reason not to take a minute to talk and it helps the reporter out.

From your point of view, why ever interview somebody who loses? Sorry, but just talking to the winner isn't always enough. Sometimes it is the opponent who can offer some real perspective.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I absolutely would want to talk to the loser of that match. He probably was curious about what you thought of the winner's talent. Hell, when I used to do the all-area team for my paper in football, basketball, and softball/baseball, I used to always get an opponent quote for each capsule. Way better stuff than talking to the kids themselves, a lot of times. High school kids are frequently uncomfortable talking about themselves because they've had it drilled into them so much that they shouldn't do it.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Former Bengals RB Harold Green didn't talk to the media. Then, for a little bit, QB Jeff Blake and WR Carl Pickens stopped talking as well. So your starting QB-RB-WR all remained silent. Thank goodness for offensive linemen.

4. Dick Whitman

If they played Green Bay, I would ask him about Clay Matthews.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Often helpful to talk to people beyond the star. Not exactly analogous, but Halberstam had the "backup catcher" theory, for instance.

6. Dick Whitman

I fucking hate "Inception." Neither. :)

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I can see where MisterCreosote was going with his anecdote. It'd be akin to asking the third string tight end who only gets on the field on special teams about blocking some effing stud linebacker or catching passes from some glamour boy quarterback. Where's the news peg, to be honest?

Now, if it's Chris Johnson being asked about facing Clay Matthews and he doesn't talk, there's a problem there.

8. Bill Parcells' assistant coaches weren't allowed to talk, either. Not surprising his evil spawn continued the tradition.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

I once led an NBA gamer with a quote from a guy who played a grand total of one minute. It was hilarious and relevant.

I remember interviewing a way undersized freshman backup linebacker who came in when the starter was injured and wound up getting flattened by Bo Jackson as Bo raced for the winning touchdown. The kid was great -- talked about how powerful Bo was, how nervous he was seeing this huge, fast guy bearing down on him, what it was like to bounce off him.

I understand Mr. C not wanting to talk to the reporter, but can you (and he) honestly see no possible news value in the reporter talking to the guy who just got beat by this monumental stud? I think it's pretty obvious he'd want to talk to him.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Jose "Chico" Lind didn't talk to the media, I don't think.

I remember he played 3-4 seasons for the Royals and hit one home run, which plunked off the foul pole in Milwaukee County Stadium. Afterwards, reporters tried to interview him but he declined with a smile on his face. I could almost respect that, at least he's consistent.

I looked up that HR on Baseball Reference and my memory was dead-on. I still got it.

11. mrbio

mrbio Member

Marcelo Rios in tennis was notorious for ducking the media.

Props to Curtis Pride of MLB who had a speaking handicap but still was gracious and engaging with the media.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Curtis Pride didn't have a "speaking handicap." He's hearing impaired. He speaks quite well. I interviewed him when he was in high school, when he played basketball at William and Mary as well as when he played pro baseball.

Draft saved Draft deleted