1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes torturing animals in West Texas

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Jan 1, 2008.

1. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Iraan has got to be one of my favorite Texas town names - named after a pair of local ranch owners, Ira and Ann. Whole lotta nothing in that part of Tejas.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I have got to go see a six-man or 1A game someday in West Texas. Alas, I have my hands full with the 4A variety in the Plex on Fridays.

Love seeing those scores roll in ... Balmorhea ... Gruver ... New Deal ... Floydada ...

Like I said ... the moon. But I'll be glad to move the earth-moon boundary farther west — say around Strawn. Once you climb Ranger Hill, you are officially on the high plains.

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Well, technically, that's the rolling plains, also known as The Big Country, as there isn't much to describe the region except that it's large (and it sucks, as does the region's capital city of Abilene.) The escarpment that marks the beginning of the high plains is to the northwest.

FB, hope you get to check out a six-man game one day. They're lots of fun. Maybe you can get down to Abbott, original home of Willie Nelson. I hope that bbq turkey place in Abbott is open again. Couldn't believe it was closed when I drove through some years ago. An outrage...the bbq turkey place in Abbott is as much an I-35 landmark as the kolache gas station in West.

4. ccraker

ccraker Guest

Hey all, I saw this thread on here and thought I would post the column that I wrote about the situation:

http://www.oavarsity.com/sports/school_879___article.xml/iraan_football.html

5. ccraker

ccraker Guest

The kids involved got let out early and will be able to participate in spring sports after all.

http://www.oaoa.com/news/school_14824___article.html/iraan_teens.html

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Send in the Marines!

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I can imagine that town took a good bollocking back in the late 1970s.

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

It was an Iraanian deer. They waterboarded it before they beat it, and George Bush approves.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

Draft saved Draft deleted