1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Athletes tend to be pretty boring"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2009.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's not about "nutting up" and calling her. This isn't Kevin Arnold picking up the phone to call a girl. It's not about me being nervous. It's about it being inappropriate - I'm not sure how many 16- and 17-year-old girls have the psychological capability yet of understanding that a phone call from a 30-year-old man is strictly business. When a "boy" calls them, they generally suspect it means something more.

Not saying they assume you're hitting on them, but I think it's an awkward situation. Not sure how many high school coaches would even call their players on the cell. I'd be interested to find that out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  2. ringer

ringer Active Member

re: " I'm not sure how many 16- and 17-year-old girls have the psychological capability yet of understanding that a phone call from a 30-year-old man is strictly business. When a "boy" calls them, they generally suspect it means something more."

Are you kidding me?
    Girls aren't stupid.
    Don't flatter yourself.

3. Dick Whitman

How thick are you? I'm not saying that they would be interested in you. I'm saying they'd be creeped out because, in teen world, boy calls = boy interested. And they've all heard warning stories about the weirdo, creepoid predators out there. And we all know better, but to a 16-year-old girl running cross country, a 30-50 year old dude covering girls high school sports might just qualify.

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Actually, I've found that if a kid gives you his/her number, he/she is aware that you may need to speak again about the story. And if a coach gives it to you, they always let the kids know that you're calling. Again, this is somewhat generational. These kids are permanently attached to their phones. I don't think this is an issue.

5. Dick Whitman

If a coach offers the number up, I don't feel quite as ick about it. But I feel creepy asking to call the girl. Usually I present it this way: "Is there a way I can talk to her?" Nine times out of 10, I get invited to practice, and I never push it.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I really, really think you're overthinking things here. I mean, really.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

You can't be serious, can you? Jesus.

I think/hope you're just pulling our legs just for shits and giggles.

It's not like you're calling this girl out of the blue. You're asking if you can call to talk about a story. By saying that, you're telling her that you're not trying to pick her up and anyone over 10 years old could understand that.

Good lord. You have issues.

8. Sneed

Sneed Guest

*whistles* No need to let this escalate out of hand on here like a lot of other threads go. I see where both sides are coming from here.

But that's the reason I ask the girl/guy for their number. If you personally ask them, as a reporter, and they personally give it to you, knowing you're a reporter, it mitigates that potential awkwardness. I understand your trepidation with doing that, because it can be weird, but it's more helpful than weird in my experience. You call, ask what you need to ask, thank them, and hang up.

But with the "forcing stories" issue -- I completely agree. I've forced them before and lugged through every sentence of the story. It sucks, so you're right, you gotta be smart with what you pursue.

And for the folks who find gamers and the technical side of sports more interesting -- that's great. I mean it. We need that covered in as much detail as the featury (sp?) side of things, and without all the stats and game reports, who'd care about the athlete? Because yeah, a lot of them can be pretty boring aside from how they perform.

'Tis quite the day to run across those with no toenails, though....

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah. I was prolly too snarky with my last post. I apologize.

I just find it hard to believe any reporter would find it awkward to call a female athlete for an interview. Just blows my mind. It's part of the job. Do it and move on.

10. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Eh, no worries.

Dick's probably just got a crush on some girl he's covering and doesn't want to get found out. [/dumbjoke]

11. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

If the stories are forced, why are we even writing them?
    Seriously.
    We're all busy enough and the business is messed-up enough that it just doesn't make sense anymore to waste time (ours and the readers) on stories we all know suck. Beast-feeding be damned. Either bring it, or don't bother.

At least that's the philosophy I'm trying to live by these days.

12. Sneed

Sneed Guest

No argument here, Irish.

In my defense of such sucky stories, to borrow Alex Rodriguez: "I was just young and naive..."

Draft saved Draft deleted