1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Athletes tend to be pretty boring"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, May 1, 2009.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's part of the formula, which tends to rear its head in NFL areas about this time of year.

Team signs or drafts Player X. Must do feature on Player X. Is he really interesting? Doesn't matter. Must do feature on Player X.

And the less chance the player has of actually making the team, the more urgent it is to do the feature on him, because he won't be around in late August or during the season to do a feature on.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, I agree, but not everyone can be awesome at their jobs and love it unconditionally. Someone's gotta be the bottom-feeder hacking away in the middle of nowhere, and I choose to be that guy.

Well, actually, it's just that I find the games more interesting than the people. Until my boss starts letting me write exclusively gamers and previews, I'll suck it up and write the features. I also find the Olympics almost unwatchable because of all the athlete background stories.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I'm actually the opposite of you. Games, for the most part, are boring. If you cover, say, 82 NBA games a year, I'd say maybe 15 will be memorable.

I like to talk to people and tell their stories and share their experiences. I like introducing our readers to the people behind the games. That's why I'm in this business.

However, I do agree with you on the Olympics. That's just overload.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'd say the vast majority of sportswriters, including pretty much every good one, is on your side.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Everyone - well, not everyone - has had to do those "prep of the week" features. You've got to feed the beast, and just because a kid runs a 22-second 200 doesn't necessarily make him an interesting feature subject.

The biggest struggle I always had with high school kids was that they had usually lived in one place their whole life. To me, half of what makes someone interesting is where they come from and where they've been. At a local paper, covering high school sports, that element of your story building is largely taken away from you.

Oh, and the best sports writers I've found make the sports themselves interesting. Otherwise, you're just writing about a guy who likes to read Shakespeare and just so happens to also be good at football. If that guy worked in sales somewhere, no one would care. The sport has to be an indispensable part of the narrative. Has to be.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Olympics on TV and covering Olymppic sports are two different things. TV overwhelms you with up-close-and-personal BS.
    Talking to Olympic sports athletes is a different deal, especially those in individual sports like track and swimming who don't have to give BS credit to their teammates but can talk about how great they are. Some superegos are great quotes.

7. That's a pet peeve of mine as well. Teammates, students and parents all feel like they have to yell that out while you're trying to ask some questions. Just...ugh.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I tell you what: Boxers are anything from boring.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Insufferable? Really?

I just tuned it out and went about my job. Didn't seem that difficult.

10. Notepad

Notepad Member

Chico Harlan hates athletes.

11. ringer

ringer Active Member

Bingo! And if they don't talk, their trainers sure will.

12. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

I always feel slimy after talking to boxers. They're interesting people, but a lot of them give me that used-car-salesman vibe where they're always trying to pitch me something.

Draft saved Draft deleted