1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes requesting cover for access?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Whatwhat, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Whatwhat

Whatwhat New Member

What's your take on this article about Stephon Marbury that says he has requested to be on the cover of SI in exchange for the right to talk to him?

http://deadspin.com/5895528/stephon-marbury-refuses-to-do-interviews-unless-he-gets-the-cover-of-sports-illustrated

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's SOP for Hollywood stars but they are generally less accessible than athletes.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Because the Chinese are getting rich off those shoes they make for him to sell back home.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't think this qualifies as a trend. Stephon Marbury lives in his own universe.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

OK, Stephon we'll pass.

6. ringer

ringer Active Member

Ditto. Let him buy his own magazine and put himself on every page.

7. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I have two pair. Love them

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I kind of like it. It's so much more arrogant than the standard, "I don't talk to the press."

9. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Like Oprah? :)

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

Because he said so.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

One of the 1997 Marlins pulled this after the World Series...can't remember if it was Alou or Sheffield.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Yes, Marbury's definitely suffering from an overdeveloped sense of self importance. That said, having seen the way sports journalists behave on here, I can't say I blame any athlete for a.) not wanting to talk to us or b.) setting conditions for talking to us. There is just as much arrogance on this side of the athlete-reporter equation as on the other side.

Draft saved Draft deleted