1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes have lower test scores

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by novelist_wannabe, Dec 28, 2008.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You knew this. Here's some data to quantify it ...

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories//2008/12/28/acadmain_1228_3DOT.html

2. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Bear shits in woods. Film at 11. [/BYH]

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

In other news, Pope Benedict XVI advocates Roman Catholicism.

"We believe in one God, the father almighty, maker of heaven and earth," Pope Benedict said. "We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic church," the Pope added.

Gio Contadino, a resident of Rome and himself a Roman Catholic, said the Pope's remarks confirmed some long-held presumptions of his. "I always figured the holy father was a Catholic," Contadino said. "He's the Pope, and being Catholic is un importante part of being the Pope. Mio Dio! I think the Blackhawks just scored again!"

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Oh great. They're crunching numbers.

5. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Why is this surprising?

Athletic programs, in many areas, are dominated by low-income, African-American students (at one school near my home, the basketball team is 90 percent free and reduced lunch; football is similar).

The SAT, meanwhile, is biased toward high-income, low-risk students that have spent much of their lives taking and learning how to take standardized tests.

Just another example of maintaining America's status quo.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

There's no news here, yet I think it needs to be written every so often. Have we forgotten that these people are supposed to be in college to get an education? Wait, don't answer that...

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I couldn't have written it any better.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thought this line was amusing

"The biggest gap between football players and students as a whole occurred at the University of Florida, where players scored 346 points lower than the school’s overall student body. That’s larger than the difference in scores between typical students at the University of Georgia and Harvard University."

What's the deal with University of Georgia? I know Harvard is Ivy League and it will always have a higher GPA than almost any other non-Ivy league school, but why pick on Georgia? are they known for their ineptness??

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

That one is too easy beef.

10. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

Please explain how they are biased. Is math somehow different in the suburbs? Do analogies take on different meanings in the inner city? Is reading comprehension only something rich folks can muster?

If the tests are biased, the bias is toward people whose families value education. Doesn't matter what color or income strata. Plenty of poor black folks have done well on standardized tests. They were motivated and wanted to. Plenty of rich, pampered white kids have done poorly. They weren't and didn't.

11. I know it's the oversimplification of the year, but ... Yes.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When some major newspaper does an investigation that shows physics students lag far behind on bench press max and vertical leap, then I'll be interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted