1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athletes/Celebrities and DUIs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, May 5, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

With all the stuff with Josh Hancock and Paris "I'm a ridiculous whore with no self-respect" Hilton, I think it begs for the discussion of why does this happen? Obviously, lack of money is not a problem, so why can't these dumb mopes cal for a taxi/car/limo? Is it an ego thing? Do they feel that they're above the law? An accident can't happen to them? Or do people like these suffer from just plain bad judgement and idiocy?

2. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i would guess all of the above.

3. I think you'll get a lot of responses at about 3 a.m., when the drunks get home and post. :)

4. I too think it's all of the above. With Hilton, it's probably mostly stupidity. You can tell that just by watching her.
    But we had a columnist years ago who made a great point. He wrote that athletes busted with drugs were especially stupid -- why did they need to alter their reality? They have great lives. We should be the ones using drugs.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Same reason anyone else gets a DUI. Really poor judgment... made worse by the fact that you're drunk.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

The feeling of invincibiity and being bullet-proof.
    "I'm a star. I can get away with it."

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

My line of thinking is this: these people KNOW they're under the microscope. Some reporters (not including ANY of us, of course ;)) live in wait for some famous person to make a bone-headed mistake like this and bring them down in the muck... yet they apparently just don't give a fuck. Maybe it's just me, but I can't grasp that possible reasoning.

Oh yeah, you could potentially die in an accident or kill someone else, too. Forgot about that small little detail.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

10. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

PC got it when he said they get them for the same reason any other person gets them - not that there's always just one reason. Some people might feel above it, celebrity or not. Some people get them because they think they're not that drunk. Some know they're taking a chance, and take it anyway.
    Then, like PhilaYank said, some celebrities just don't give a gosh darn because they really are that stupid. But I can't imagine a non-celebrity person saying, "Well, nobody's really going to CARE if I get caught, so what the hell? I can take the punishment."

11. I wasn't going to name names :)

12. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

That could be my favorite Chris Berman nickname.

Draft saved Draft deleted