1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete-Reporter fights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jan 12, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

No, no, no. It's called a keg-stand.

Shotgunning is drinking from a very large hole in the side of a can after opening the top.

Not that I've ever done it.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I've done it. You poke a hole in the side of a can, put your mouth up to it and then open the top. The beer flows down your throat like a river. You can finish a beer in 3-5 seconds.

One time, I shotgunned one, it stayed my stomach for all of 2 seconds, came right back up and then i was fine to drink more. It was a fascinating turn of events.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

Classic, and long time no hear from Maple Sugar.

4. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I prefer funnelling. The best is when you're doing it with mixed drinks like gin & tonics or rum & cokes.

Anyway, I never got into a fight with an athlete during an interview, but I nearly mixed it up with one at a party in college when he read something he didn't like and didn't have the mental capacity to understand the entire argument.

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

One time while in college I was hanging out with some offensive linemen. I kept telling them how they were good but their quarterback sucked ass. They wanted to fight me (read: murder me) but they refrained. Needless to say, I was far from sober.

6. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow babs. did you share a smoke afterward?

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Seems like these things were more common in a bygone era. More proximity, less litigation.

Denny McLain dumped buckets of ice water on a couple of writers. I believe Jim Hawkins was one of them.

Pete Peeters and some Flyers conspired to gang up on Jay Greenberg after Peeters was insulted by a skit done at a hockey writers banquet.

Earl Lawson and Vada Pinson got into it in the '60s with the Reds.

Bo Belinsky once popped an ancient LA sportswriter named Braven Dyer.

Joe Greene spit on Pat Livingston in Pittsburgh.

Dan Pastorini shoved Dale Robertson in Houston.

When Ralph Houk was with the Yankees, he was notorious for making a show of backing writers against the wall and screaming at them in front of the team.

Henry Aaron dumped a bunch of strawberries on Frank Hyland.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think Pete Waldmeir was the other...

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

We used to have shotgun competitions back in college, timed with a stopwatch. I think the record for someone in my fraternity was 2.1 seconds; I think I bottomed out at like 3.1.

Word of advice: should anyone on here still be doing this, warm beer is the way to go. Two factors involved--prevents brain freeze and the burp you produce is infinitely better than with a cold beer.

And oh yeah, the Serby-Todd confrontation is up there for me.

But might I also add Jeremy Schaap's cool responses to Bobby Fischer in an airport terminal in Iceland.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Willie Mac was one tough dude. He made Will Hunting look like a saint.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

McEntegart isn't lazy, whatever. Ask Tim B., the AP, Chidi Ahanotu and five chicks on MySpace, how industrious he is. McEntegart once compiled a list of the top best 10 power lifters of all-time for his column (lots of good one liners and scoops, by the way), and while he was writing it, he aced an IQ test, taught a law class at Berkeley and gave serious consideration to playing middle linebacker for the Raiders. After talking it over with Jerry Porter, McEntegart decided the Raiders weren't wort his time, but he did steal three Raiderettes for his personal collection before leaving, whatever.

Seriously, the column you linked to said up top he was writing about player/cameraman confrontations. He not only hit most of the memorable ones, I'm not sure why anyone would call it lazy. It totally fit the 10 Spot column he does.

Draft saved Draft deleted