1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete nicknames sure are lame these days

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Dec 18, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, but Flashy works for you...

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

My favourite hockey nickname of the last decade or so is still "Olie the Goalie"

Makes me laugh just to say it.

Wait a minute. I forgot the immortal "Tucksie," one of Flash's favourites.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I think just "chickie" works best.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

There's a few which are still good. El Caballo for Carlos Lee comes to mind. Super Mario (been used many times, I know) is another good one.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Shuddit, you!

The Bulin Wall is pretty good, I have to admit.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Koko The Monkey.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never did like Le Magnifique for Lemieux. Super Mario wasn't a bad one.

8. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Thought Big Sexy was pretty good for Ritchie Sexson, despite the fact that it's ultimately just a variation of the same trend that turns Dustin Pedroia into "Pedie."

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well, the Whalercanes got one right. Ron Francis was also known as "Ronnie Franchise." Appropriate ... of course, I'm just a sliver biased.

But how did Arturs Irbe become "Archie"? Great guy, both as a teammate and to the media, but Archie?

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

1. An earlier generation was much more inclined to nickname people. My father had friends named Chick, Whitey, Porky, Moose, Shorty and Cherry Nose Bill.

2. A lot of the writer-created nicknames were cornball bullshit that the players hated and never used. Do you think anyone ever addressed Ted Fucking Williams as "Splendid Splinter?"

3. Some nicknames never make print or air. Jim Maloney, the old Reds pitcher, had a weird build that made his chest stick out a bit. His nickname among the players was "Tits" or "Titser." That one is not getting on the broadcast. A team I covered had a guy known as "Cheesely" because of his pungent gas.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

A guy I know currently toiling in Amarillo in the immortal Central Hockey League was nicknamed "Reg" after Reg Dunlop. This guy was always running his yap, trying to be a coach on he ice and someone gave him that handle to honour the ultimate player/coach.

12. I Digress

I Digress Guest

hmmmm, guess that makes me I Dig... I Dig that....carry on

Draft saved Draft deleted