1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athlete birthday parties -- why the big deal?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 2, 2008.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

No hint of racism at all in that post. Especially since the writer never mentions "black athletes"

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, you just need to learn to read the hondo way.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

"There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 11." -- Dave Barry

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Today's disproven cliché: "There's no such thing as a dumb question."

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

But it doesn't explain that Jeremy Shockey is just as much of a punk as any of the more infamous African-Americans from the U (or multiracial guys; who can forget Dwayne Johnson diving into the stands to chase the San Diego State mascot?).

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Hondo, I know two white guys, ages 23 and 33, who went to that party because they knew someone who was invited and, in turn, invited them. I guarantee you both of them would throw a big birthday bash just for the hell of it if they had the money Moss has.

Of course, that's probably just because they're trying to be cool like all those crazy black athletes with their crazy parties.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Oh, I intend to throw down on my birthday this year.

It won't be lavish. I'm on a journalist's salary, after all. But I intend for this year to be wild.

No. 1, my last two birthdays were eh. No. 2, this year's my 35th.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Because they have way too much money and because they constantly play "can you top this" with each other.*

*(This may be taboo, but I didn't think the original question was that ridiculous or racist. Most males shut down birthday celebrations after they turn 21).**

**(That's 21, the chronological age, not the beloved sj poster).

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

It's not about celebrating the birthday as much as it's about having an excuse to throw a party. More people are likely to come to your "birthday" party than your "hey, let's have a party just because" party.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The problem with the initial question was that he attributed the "black athletes" part to Steinberg, which was not the case. It happened to be Moss' party, but it was a story about athletes as a whole. And the question included (OK, black athletes) like that was the point.

And it wasn't.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Leave out those three words and his post has an entirely different tone.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who knew Donald Trump was black?

Draft saved Draft deleted