1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MC Auggie, May 25, 2007.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

So if Andy leaves, what's next? Do they promote from within, or does the opening get posted somewhere? Seems like this would be a great gig. Didn't they just hire a new ASE recently?

2. I've been told the turnover IS a bad thing, or at least the reason for it is. So, can anyone answer my question? Is this as bad a place as my acquaintance says or is he exaggerating?

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

athens itself is heaven on earth

as for the paper, there is good and bad, just like anyplace else. although, you'll probably be paid less for the good and bad. but hell, you live in athens

4. You obviously haven't been to the Virgin Islands or the Galapagos Islands.

5. HoopsMcCann

walk down milledge ave. on a spring day and get back to me

6. Maybe that's your idea of heaven on earth, but not mine. Different strokes for different folks.

7. HoopsMcCann

you macramed yourself a pair of jean shorts

8. sgaleadfoot

sgaleadfoot Member

An nice, cool, autumn day in Athens isn't a bad way to spend your time either, imo.

9. What happened

10. John

John Well-Known Member

What he said.

Dammit, I haven't been home since Christmas. I miss my family and friends, I miss the town, I miss the Taco Stand, I miss the view on Milledge in the afternoon when the sorority girls go for walks in large packs.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

What he said, III.

Walk through the arch and to the library on the North Campus quad on a summer day and see all the co-eds in their tiny cotton gray shorts with a red UGA on the rear (available cheaper at Baxter Street Bookstore!)

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

As a UGA alum, I can say that Athens is a place that everyone should spend at least a little time in. But not too long. You get used to seeing only beautiful women, so when you get out, the uggos look even worse.

As for Andy, heard whisperings about this but didn't want to say anything. He has been a great guy that has helped me on my way up. I can think of one person in that section that they could promote to SE, and he would be a great fit.

The ABH is a great paper for its size. It practically dominates in sub-40K contests, and there is a lot of opportunity to put out some really impressive work.

Draft saved Draft deleted