1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athens (Ga.) Banner-Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Andy Johnston, May 18, 2006.

1. The AJC owned the UGA beat when Schlabach was on it. Then the AJC made a colossal blunder and let him go, and now things have evened out. Weiszer and Kendall are both hard workers who are more than holding their own. And the AJC is too busy writing letters to Randolph Morris.

2. boots

boots New Member

Dude, I know a lot more about the situation and am closer to it than you think. I will not elaborate further. I don't go with the status quo on the ABH. Is it a good paper. Yeah, for its resources. Is it better than the AJC or Macon in its coverage of UGA, in my opinion, no. I'm sorry if that hurt a few people's feelings, but so be it.
    Incidentally Hoops, I don't think you know WTF you are talking about half the time. Nothing personal, just fact.

3. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Boots knows a shitload about a shitload. He knows everything there is to know about Jacksonville, as well.

4. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

In the interest of fairness, and to prove I know WTF I'm talking about, here are some examples of the same story covered by Athens and covered by Atlanta in Thursday's editions. Judge for yourselves.

http://onlineathens.com/stories/052506/football_20060525053.shtml

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/uga/stories/0525ellerbe.html

And Boots, I'd like you to elaborate on why you know so much. Might give you some credibility, because you seem to lack it in the eyes of many of your fellow posters (and you've lost even more so far on this thread).

5. boots

boots New Member

I will not elaborate for several reasons. For starters I am entitled to my opinion. As far as credibility, I don't need posters to give me thumbs up or thumbs down. I've got a pretty good gig with a nice pay check that does that.
    When you go shopping, you have the power to buy anything you want, right? Well over the years, I've been more impressed with other paper's coverage of UGA than I have been with the ABH. What's the problem with that?
    Oh and for Jville, we've already been through that slop hole category. It's no worth repeating.

6. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

OK Boots. You win. I just find it hilarious how you can take shots at people and papers and then when asked to back it up, your reasoning is you're entitled to your opinion and you can spend your money however you want. I see a big-city columnist job in your future. Oh, and I'm very relieved you are gainfully employed and that gives you your sense of worth. That must be why you're so eager to tear others down. If you work in Georgia and run into me at an event sometime, please introduce yourself. I love to debate journalism's finer points with insightful people like yourself.

7. dawgsnbraves

dawgsnbraves New Member

Can you guys take the little girl fighting to some other thread? I'm actually going after this job and would like not to have to go through all your BS in order to find the real, informative posts. Much appreciated.

8. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

dawgsnbraves: I can't speak for Andy Johnston, but I'd be a little wary of hiring someone with your handle. Good luck, though.

See Boots, I'm "girl fighting" with everybody, not just you.

9. boots

boots New Member

DUDE, there's nothing to debate. There's no winner. You just don't like what I'm writing. Tough. Get over it. As I told you before I'm a lot closer to the situation than you may suspect. My opinions are mine but they are shared by others. Furthermore, no one has torn anyone done. I just said for my money, I enjoy the UGA coverage in the AJC. Always have. If you have a problem with that, its on you.
    Do yourself a favor and don't get upset because someone disagrees with you. I don't. Imagine what kind of world this would be if everyone was like you. Good.
    I knew you would see it my way.
    And I'm not angry. I understand where you are coming from. Just be open minded about where I'm coming from.

10. vanbrimmer

vanbrimmer Member

You are clueless. I wasn't upset until just now. It doesn't bother me when somebody disagrees with me. It does bother me when they can't back up their BS. I'll never be open-minded about that.

For the record, here you are tearing people down. You don't have to name them to be tearing them down.

* "Here's the point, in a nutshell, the AJC has been beating the ABH like a whore that stole its wallet for years. It's a shame that it happens especially since UGA IS the bread and butter of the ABH."

* "It's one thing to get your ass kicked by a veteran. It's another when that veteran is 80 miles away and beating your ass like a drum. ABH getting beat in their own town is disgraceful no matter how you slice it. That should never happen."

11. boots

boots New Member

VAN, AGAIN, no one is tearing anyone down. Just stating facts as we see it. Call it what you want, it doesn't change my opinion. OK?

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Ahh, another good thread gone bad...

Draft saved Draft deleted