1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atchison Globe SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, May 30, 2007.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

From journalismjobs.com

Anybody know anything about this place/company?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've heard both good and bad about this paper (and the position) through the years. Some busted their ass and loved the job before moving on, others couldn't tolerate being in Atchison and grew bitter before moving on.

I would tend to say it's a great place to start. The fact that it's close enough to KC to catch the Royals and whatever events are to your liking is another plus. Not every small-paper job can boast that.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Could you explain more?

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Which part?

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Sorry...like specific examples of the good and bad things about it.

6. Charlie Hustle

Charlie Hustle New Member

I don't know much about the paper itself, but i'm pretty sure it's owned by the St. Joseph News-Press. The ME Michael Terry is good people, as is the outgoing sports editor, Andy Brown. Andy was as the Leavenworth Times before that and did good work. I think he won a few KPA awards for sports photography. It'd be a decent job. Their football team is always good, and their boys basketball team is a regular at the state tournament. In fact, the basketball team was mentioned in SI this year because seven of the players were related.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

From the guys I've talked to who have gone through there, they do a lot. It's the typical small-staff grind you see and hear from people at papers that size. Small numbers, little resources, not enough time to report on all the stories that you might want to do or feel needs to get in.

Some people are miserable in those work conditions and burn out. Others thrive and move on. The job i what you make of it, and the ones I liked who have gone through there like the job, demanding as it was.

Draft saved Draft deleted