1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point should you as a reporter point out the wrong call was made?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Spartan Squad, Mar 25, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

mjp, "appeared to" is the key there and sounds like a good way to write it. It isn't the 100 percent declaration that others were suggesting.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's what it was. Are you all arguing that he was wrong?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Our style at my first job was always "disputed call" I got used to that and used it the rest of my career.

4. LongTimeListener

He was actually doing that "anyone can call in an infraction" thing that is very common to golf, which I personally hate but which is accepted in the sport. And in truth, all he did was tip off the rules chief that something may have happened; only after interviewing Wie did the rules chief issue a ruling. But yes, to answer your question, I think he was acting out of his boundaries as a reporter. There was a pretty big Poynter-style ethics debate about it at the time.

It's quite a bit different from most or all of the examples cited on this thread, though.

5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I haven't seen a prep sporting event remotely important enough yet where my or any other reporter's intervention was required.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I'm sure state associations could pay for line judges at every tennis match. And walking officials at every golf match. How about six-man ump crews at baseball games just like the World Series?

But to the original point ... heck no, don't get involved. Frankly, a bad call and pissed-off coaches are golden. Enjoy them when you can.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

On all of those examples. I stated what happened, no hedging with "appeared." In all cases, everyone in attendance knew what actually happened. Again, that's why I said it had to be "egregious."

The worst of those examples - and they were all bad - was the basketball not going through the net. The official that blew the call was indignant and would not consult his partner when the coach challenged him. Coach got tossed, two free throws and the ball, turning point in the game.

Under no circumstances can something like that not be reported.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And if that was a high school game, what would you do?

Your example happens once every 5,000 games or so at the major league level.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Anyone who has been around sports for any length of time knows there's also a karma that goes with these situations. This call went against Team A, but more than likely they'll benefit from a similar call somewhere down the line. Might not be in that match or game, but it'll happen.
    In the long run, bad calls tend to even out.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you really think the ball was in and the player was cheating, then write a story and quote the opposing player. Ask about the call and if he wants to call the guy out, print it.

Otherwise, you could get into a real mess calling a kid a liar -- either to tournament officials or in print. And what proof do you have?

11. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

That reminds me of a moment in college. While working for the school newspaper, I asked our adviser how I should handle a situation that I personally witnessed. It's better to quote someone. His exaggerated example was if someone walked into the office right then and shot (our coworker) in the head, instead of him writing "Holy shit!" he'd quote me saying "Holy shit!"

12. LongTimeListener

He said the ball was "more than clearly in." And besides being a reporter, he is the only person in the history of humanity who has never just flat-out seen something wrong. What more proof does he need?

Seriously, just as a psychology experiment, people should go out to a youth event (up to HS level) and see how many people are absolutely sure that a call should have gone the other way. Even if you have a room full of guys watching an NFL game, you'll often have a dispute after seeing multiple replays of whether a player was in bounds.

Draft saved Draft deleted