1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point should we start taking Bleacher Report seriously?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Oct 15, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Lot harder to sneer at it when they're paying guys six figures to write for them.

I know Bucher isn't well loved and he seems to have gone truly off the deep end on the "LeBron is a choker" stuff, but he still has plenty of credibility in NBA circles.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, he doesn't.

3. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

Not trying to be disrespectful here, but how does one gauge this? What things did Bucher do to lose any and all credibility?

Who does have credibility, I suppose is where we should begin.

4. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Ric worked with me for a little bit and I consider him a good guy who worked his ass off to make himself a very good beat reporter. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with his current stuff.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why would he have left ESPN to do radio gig. It seemed like he had perfect job at the mouse. A little writing and
    combined with tv.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Why? And how do you know this?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Using SJ as my google again - my memory is a little foggy. Did Bucher work at the Post years ago? Was he involved in the Rod Strickland story? Or am I misremembering?

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't know about The Post but do remember that Bucher had to apologize for
    calling Jazz fans "Mormon and vicious" on an ESPN broadcast. Lucky for him that it
    was before social media hit critical mass or he probably would have been run out of the
    business.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes - Ric was at the Post in the mid-late 90s.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Is there really some big mystery or something here? Don't get the "credibility" thing either.
    I just assumed his contract didn't get renewed by ESPN for any of a variety of reasons so he found something else to do.
    No?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Seems like most (all?) of the big names B/R is hiring have a pretty strong NBA connection. I wonder if they're really hiring them more for Turner but selling it as B/R to boost the site name. Bucher in particular, his last 10 years have featured very little writing of note as he became a TV guy.

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I think B/R won't have credibility with those in the journalism field until they ditch the fanboi type articles. Lipstick-pig argument. Do a Google search on almost anything - they are still a content farm.

The reading public, however, no idea. I had friends email me B/R stuff well before this hiring craze (I'd write back I'm not clicking on that link because I knew it would be fanboi crap.)

Draft saved Draft deleted