1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point should we start taking Bleacher Report seriously?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by H.L. Mencken, Oct 15, 2013.

1. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

I suspect never for some.

But Ric Bucher signed with them today.

Discuss.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When they start doing serious work?
    I throw that out in part to be a wiseass, but mostly I don't know. I don't read Bleacher Report, and I'm sure someone will let me know when it is time to start.

Where was Bucher most recently?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He has a radio show in the Bay Area (95.7 FM) and has been writing for the Comcast channel here.

Had a great entry in the Joe Thornton Euphemism Game. Said Thornton told the media that if he scored four goals, he'd "show off his MVP-ness."

4. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

It's going to take awhile for the stink they covered themselves in for a decade to wash off. But clearly signing Beck, Slotnick, Ding, Freeman and Bucher represent at least a slight push for more credibility and less SEO headline rape. (15 Reasons Why You Should Take BR Seriously Right Now!) It's clear Turner saw a limited growth model in a hive arm churning out nothing but content aggregating listicles. They have to be spending a lot of money on some of these guys.

I suppose time will tell if it really represents a shift, or if it's just temporary.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've found it interesting Jason King, one of the best college basketball writers around, has been tweeting links to other peoples' Bleacher Report stories lately. At first I skipped over the links, but I eventually clicked on a couple and they weren't bad.

The most recent was an in-depth piece on shoe companies angling to sign Andrew Wiggins once he declares for the draft.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Adding Ric Bucher is not a step in the direction of respectability.

7. Jake_Taylor

Well, he's no Andy Auger.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't know if people take Buzzfeed "seriously", but it sounds like a similar strategy. They still run lists, and cat pictures, but they've also hired a bunch of news and political writers.

I imagine BR will try to have a similar mix with their sports coverage.

9. Jake_Taylor

I don't seek out anything on Buzzfeed, but I see its stuff linked a lot. When I see the lists or slideshows or whatever, they usually are reasonably funny, clever or interesting.

Bleacher Report's always seemed like they were put together by a fourth grader who would admit he didn't put any thought into it.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"I put two seconds thought into that statement."

-- 93Devil

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

But it might be an acknowledgement, when it's time to have someone do the CNN crossover talking-head bits, that BR's other NBA writers are, well, writers when it comes to TV.

As for the thread topic specifically, I long ago vowed never to click through or even on another BR slideshow.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Bleacher Report should have been taken seriously a long time ago, when it first became a multimillion dollar venture.

We may not have liked it (I still can't stand it), but it's successful. In this case, it wasn't by accident. Sure, the content was/still is awful, but the execution in a business sense is genius as much as it is devious to our business.

Draft saved Draft deleted