1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point do we just recycle "Ricky tests positive" threads?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, May 11, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Jones, You are correct (I love it when you are correct!). He stills owes them the signing bonus, even though they have made no effort to collect. The reason was probably the chance that he might play for them again, which is no longer a possibility, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them take action...

It's also worse than that, maybe... I'm not sure how much in assets he has, so I can't speak to your $2 million number. But I do talk to someone who used to be fairly intimate with his finances and I have been led to believe he had even considerably less money than that. He didn't save very well (squandered really) from what I have been told. I too can stand to be corrected, though. :)

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well he's to be admired. Forget the fact that he squandered his considerable talent and all of his money, he's happy singing kumbayah and smoking pot and really that's what life is about.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

If the guy got a 1 year suspension last summer, and he fails a test, he gets to reapply in Sept., less than 4 months?
    Does that make sense?
    As a Phins fan, I have followed Ricky since 2002 and it is sad.
    His heart isn't in the game and I really believe he did this intentionally to avoid playing. His last positive test wasn't for grass, it was a herbal supplement. I thought this may be that again but from the reports I've read, it's grass.
    Now he can move on and teach yoga in Cali.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I'm not sure but I don't think yoga instructing pays as well as the NFL and this is a man in severe debt

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

Ragu -- this was in 2004. He was looking at buying a farm in Australia worth a couple of million, and he was going to pay cash for it, but that was pretty much going to wipe him out. Since he's sold some of his cars and at least one of his houses (he still had one in New Orleans and one in Miami backt then), but he's probably spent some, too. I'm not sure where he'll be at, this moment. But certainly a little over two years ago, he had a couple million left.

He'll probably make something like $500,000 off the autobiography he's working on. Not sure if he can incorporate somehow and put that somewhere the Dolphins can't get it, but that would be a little something at least.

As for Ricky, I really like him. Great to hang out with, intelligent, a dream for a writer. I can't speak to his love of football or his motivation (or lack thereof). But as far as big-name athletes go, he's one of my favorites as a person.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Late to the party but this sums it up for me. Robert Smith took some of this same shit when he retired from the Vikings. Unlike Williams, Smith had played out his contract and had no obligations to the team at all. He still received the "he owes it to the fans to play one more season" treatment as well as "his best years were ahead of him." Who cares?

More power to anyone who leaves on their terms.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't know if any of these HTT critics has any clue the decimated bodies these guys are left with.

8. boots

boots New Member

No one is whining and bitching. We were having a good debate. Damn.

9. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Social anxiety is a major problem for some people, and it shouldn't be passed off as a minor thing. You think it's not a big deal, and then you see it nearly destroy someone close to you, and you see it is a big deal. If he truly has social anxiety disorder, I completely understand why he would want to smoke pot. Those people freak the hell out if there are ever more than like 3-4 people in a room ... you have to see it to believe it.

I don't know Ricky at all, but I'm guessing he's like most potheads — he probably just wants to be left alone to live his life like he wants to live it. And that's fine, more power to him, but if you're going to try to come back to the league, you should probably make sure you won't fail a test. If he really is a pothead, financial problems are probably his sole reason for attempting a comeback.

And lastly, if any of you people don't know the percentage of young athletes who regularly smoke pot, you're either crazy, naive or both.

10. IU90

IU90 Member

Somewhat creative analogy, but flawed: What Ricky's done is not really analogous to choosing to become a pharmacist when you could be a surgeon, who both enjoy somewhat comparable stations in life. Instead, Ricky was once perhaps football's most talented young runner who could've become a Hall of Fame calibur runner (one of the few we've seen with that kind of physical potential) immortalized forever and making untold gazillions of dollars, but instead essentially rejected that and chose a path as a nonstop dope-smoking, perpetually-suspended, occasionally Canadian-football playin, still in debt to the Dolphins for millions (and likely soon-to-be bankrupt) bum. The pharmacist/surgeon analogy does not begin to compare in scope to the choice Ricky's made.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

And . . . how can we POSSIBLY . . . go . . . on . . . without feedback from the world's #1 house apologist on this specific matter . . .

DLB . . . DLB . . . please pick up the white courtesy phone . . .

12. Jones

Jones Active Member

I think the truth is, when Ricky fled to Australia, he was gone... He was very happy and content, smoking dope, watching whales, heading off next to India to plant a garden in the footsteps of the Himalayas. He was done with football, and I think he thought football was done with him. And I respected his choice to leave. If any one of us quit our jobs and said we were going to see the world, the rest of us would be like, Way to go, man, have fun. Because Ricky played football, he can't do that?

But then the Dolphins judgment came down. And I think he felt like he had to come back, because if he didn't, he would never be able to do the things he wanted to do anyway. So he came back to something he didn't love, to try to fake it. And what you've seen the last few years is the result of trying to force someone to do something they don't want to do. You witness some serious heel dragging.

Dolphins don't win their judgment, Ricky is in Pago Pago, dug into the beach.

Instead, we have King Kong on the big stage, getting poked with sticks.

Draft saved Draft deleted