1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point did you first feel "old"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

When I realized the first of my friends to have a baby no longer had a baby, she had a middle schooler.

Also, when my young cousins hit high school. I had known their parents (my aunts and uncles) long before they were even married and had kids.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I still kind of think young, but I have to say, when you take your daughter to a Sun Belt college campus, and you can't help but, um, notice the young women there -- and they're the same as as said daughter, that's at the very least disconcerting.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When I discovered that I'm older than almost every athlete I cover...

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting for it to happen and I'm 46.  :-\

5. Jack_Bauer

Jack_Bauer Member

I'm 30 and I've decided I'm not going to feel old until every player in the four major sports are younger than I am. So let's go Julio Franco.

6. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Ditto. And I'm 47.

Whoever said "you're as young as you feel" certainly nailed it.

Although my knees remind me of my age every once in a while.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I felt really old when I looked at a roster and saw someone born in 1984...

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I threw my back out on Friday night.

9. BRoth

BRoth Member

Hey there big guy, just thought I'd start a conversation ... check out the thread title, old is in " " for a reason.

10. The Franchise

The Franchise Member

When I went to cover a h.s. basketball game, and the best player on the court was born in 1990.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have put one these :D at the end of the post to signify I wasn't really angry, but just yanking your chain. I suck at the Internet.

12. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Couple instances when it really hit home

1) When watching th eNHL draft a couple of years ago and realizing I was older than everyone of them being selected. That they were the same age as the young punks I covered who played Midget AAA or Junior A/B hockey.

2) My second year of college in Edmonton, best shape of my life (even had a bit of a six pack started - now I have more of a keg), tried out for the men's hockey team, and after the first day of tryouts I couldn't move for three days afterwards. My knees had almost completely given out on me. I have felt old ever since.

Draft saved Draft deleted