1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what point am I not being whiney?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by DeskMonkey, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Why not try this:
    Ask to write a blog for your paper's website. Call it "From the Desk" or something like that. Put up a post every day, see if you get a following and if your editors like it, you'll likely get asked to do some other assignments.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If there's one thing I don't get emotional about anymore, it's picks. My shop does picks for everything and I have missed a few due to being off or whatever, and haven't lost one iota of sleep. I know you're framing that into a larger discussion, but when you do talk to a supervisor, don't sweat small stuff. And picks are really small stuff. In my opinion.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Like someone said, they usually only give picks to people that readers recognize. Otherwise they're gonna have to have a tag explaining who you are and why someone should possibly care about your pick.

If you want recognition for your writing or prognostication skills, write a blog on Tumblr. Or better yet, yes, talk to your boss about contributing in some capacity.

Most people I know who become editors at a young age remain editors.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Why do people take picks so seriously? I once picked bowl games with a High School Musical Magic 8-Ball and still took second.

When I first started out of college, I took a desk job because I really needed the money. It took a few years and others leaving before I got a shot at writing because I got labeled as a desk guy. Being at a smaller paper allowed me to do it, so I have no idea if it's harder to transition. But I wouldn't do both at the same time. Be a desker or be a writer, pick one and excel at it.

5. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

jr/shotglass beat me to it, but . . .

You are laying out the paper, making sure it gets done.

Other people are writing raw copy, undoubtedly with mistakes, and you are catching them and making the paper look good.

You do what you do.

6. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

See if they'll let you write for the website, I bet they will.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Ricard Deitsch pointed out in his Media Circus column this week that Erin Andrews didn't have picks but all the other studio show contributors did. So I wouldn't feel too bad?

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

In our shop, the desk guys have always been part of the college picks panel.
    I think it's poor form to do otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted