1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At what age should a person be held partially legally responsible for his/her actions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Splendid Splinter, Aug 4, 2020.

?

At what age should a person be held partially legally responsible for his/her actions

1. Under 11

2. 12

3. 13

4. 14

5. 15

6. Above 15

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

This is a good example of where I think there's a giant disconnect when people talk about these issues.

You're saying that a 13 year old who can't wait until summer because she just wants to get high all the time is somehow a sign that she is responsible and has the emotional maturity to be treated as an adult. I would argue that it's a sign that she's still a dumb kid.

The people who knee-jerk respond that kids should be legally treated as an adult tend to do it from a really disingenuous place. It not a case of "this teen seems to have the emotional maturity of an adult." It's much more a case of "Screw this kid, let's make him pay."

As I said in an earlier post, setting an arbitrary age below 18 is really a waste of time. Kids mature differently. I have two sons and their emotional maturity as teens is not at all the same.

(On a side note, the U.S. has a really disturbing hard-on for punishment and incarceration.)

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And I also said we need to recognize they're kids but they need to begin seeing the consequences of their actions. In the broad sense you're right. Expecting them to make rational adult level decisions is hard but I do expect them to start appreciating we're not going to treat them like kids. Time outs have stopped. Mind you when I heard this girl say that, I didn't jump down her throat, but I filed it away for how to approach her in the future with school work.

As a 13/14 year old, grades start having real consequences for their futures and we start treating them differently in school. Hell 11/12 they have to go through school differently.

All of course with the mindset that they are not as mature as me so my approach must be different.

3. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

It depends on the kid. It depends on the crime. It depends on so much.
    One other thing: It depends on the goal. Do you want to punish or rehabilitate the kid?

Mngwa likes this.
  4. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

It depends on the kids. People mature at different times. I know me personally I had no fucking clue the extent of ramifications in the grand scheme. Also I don't buy the well we are treated different in school at 13/14. Meh. The grades don't have that huge of an impact really in the grand scheme. In the end you pass and have a 2.0 you can go to a juco and get into college. That's really what matters. I never had grand ideas of going to Yale. There are some horrific crimes committed that deserve and almost have to have punishment, but to treat a 13 yo as an adult I think is wrong. Some kids have very difficult upbringings and think they have no out that isn't through jail. At least try and rehabilitate imo.

Draft saved Draft deleted