1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AT&T Uverse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BadgerBeer, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

My Directv bill is getting a little high and I am looking at some other options. Does anyone have any history with Uverse? If so, what can you tell me. The reason I went to Directv was for the sports channels, including all of the regional networks. How does Uverse stack up? Is it really much cheaper or do they nickle and dime you to death? Any info would be appreciated.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

AMAZING AND MAGICAL AND WONDERFUL.

It was expensive as fuck, for me. $180 a month for the level that had SPEED, plus 16MB internet and home phone. Insane. Do be warned that baseball is still blacked out on those regional networks. I paid $10 to add them and still couldn't watch the Twins.

Bonus: you can record four things at once. I miss it.

3. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'm still on the fence right now concerning Uverse. I've had DirecTV most of my adult life, so moving into an apartment that didn't allow satellites was quite a culture shock for me. Luckily, we were in a zone that Uverse covered (instead of Cox) ad we've had it for probably eight months.

The HD is pretty sharp, the channel lineup is a bit confusing at first, but I'm getting it. I honestly don't find the Internet to be all that fast, but then again I'm running an old ass computer. And my wife must have gotten us the wrong package because a lot of my Fox Sports channels are blacked out.

Now, the main plus I've seen is what IJAG said about being able to record four things at one time. I love that option. I can watch something else while it's recording on two other receivers. I also like the OnDemand section. Lots of great movies on the premium channels available on there to watch at any time. Definitely a lifesaver when the kids are bored and there's "nothing on TV."

It's also hard to beat the bundle they offer with TV, phone and internet. We were paying upwards of $300 a month between our phone bill, satellite bill and internet bill before Uverse. Now, we're probably right around $175-180 a month for all three.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I love U-Verse, but still have to look up channels all the time, except for my most favorites. Could be senility.

With the next-to-top internet and a home phone, I'm paying $176. But it's only about $30 more a month than cable under the same circumstances, and a lot bigger choices.

I'm pretty much a fan and actually starting to get used to having a DVR and that I can pause a program if I need to step out of the room for a minute. You'd be surprised -- or not -- how hard it is for me to get into that habit.

But mostly positive, and very reliable Internet/wireless, which of course means it will go out tonight.

5. AreaMan

AreaMan Member

Might want to try negotiating with DirecTV...i'm not sure where you are in terms of the two-year agreement with you, but if you're a "free agent" you can really talk them down...I pay about $60 for the choice plus with HD service and the HD DVR...my deal is also month-to-month with no contract...i did have to agree to have them take the payment automatically from my checking account though...

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I love U-Verse and would never go back to Cox. Better channels for your buck, better customer service and my internet service has been more consistent.

Having said that, I miss Cox sports.

Draft saved Draft deleted