1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AT&T stops selling the iPhone in New York City

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 27, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

I've had my iPhone about a month and have yet to drop a call, surprising considering I dropped calls almost daily on my last two AT&T phones.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'll buy an iPhone the second they go to Verizon.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That beep-beep-beep-beeping noise you hear is AT&T slamming itself into reverse.

http://www.apnews.com/ap/db_8317/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=r7niTO9P&src=cat&dbid=8317&dbname=Top+News&detailindex=7

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Because Apple products could never have design flaws, right?

Actually, it was an independent assessment and AT&T execs refused to comment. AT&T may have other problems in NYC, but the overall signal flaws seem to be the iPhone's fault.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/business/13digi.html?_r=1&scp=3&sq=iphone&st=cse

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I got one for Christmas, finally, and am really impressed by the service in my burg. Then again, I don't live in NYC. But the IPhone has all-bars at my house, where my trust Crackberry sometimes dropped to 1-2 bars.

rb

6. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

AT&T can throw their pretty blue map up about where they "provide service" but Verizon has them dead to rights on the 3G stuff. AT&T sucks in that game, and the company knows it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Here in Redneckistan, my wife has no problems with 3G service for her iPhone. Since I'm still toting a first-gen model, I look for hijackable WiFi.

8. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I get great service in NYC with Sprint on my Pre. I'm also a former Verizon fangirl who was dragged away kicking and screaming.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I only have some little ol' slider, but my 3G service with AT&T has been aces in my part of the world.

10. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

That data may not be as independent as it appears.

http://www.macworld.com/article/145068/2009/12/att_iphone_network.html

11. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

You're seriously trying to refute a NY Times article with an article from MacWorld?

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Yes. Did you bother reading them?

Draft saved Draft deleted