1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AT&T censors Pearl Jam's anti-Bush song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Alley, of course they don't have anything to do with each other. The first one was a comment about AT&T. The second was a question about Pearl Jam.

Thank god school starts at the end of the month. I need a refresher course on how to explain things to people without getting bent out of shape. I can't wait until those little bastards jump on the bus and head to class. ;D

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

In a word: No.

Pearl Jam had, for a while, a fairly open taping policy. But they also saw "bootlegs" being sold in record stores and online for insane markups -- the early Atlanta show or the Chicago show going for north of $50.

Not wanting to see fans get gouged, but also not wanting to prevent fans from getting a copy of the show they saw or what have you, they settled on selling official "bootlegs" for all shows on the web for, last I checked, $10 a show.

I have no idea if you can still tape a PJ show or not, but it's kind of irrelevant because you can get a soundboard recording for $10.

3. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

So I take it you'll be a student in this refresher course, right? Because I still don't see why it's relevant to even mention Pearl Jam's policy on music purchasing vs. what happened with AT&T. You mentioned them...I'm just trying to understand.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Point is, I'm sure Pearl Jam wouldn't have agreed to do the show if it knew AT&T would edit what it wanted to out. If the deal was to do a live show unedited, AT&T should have delivered on that promise.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Alley, Zeke answered my question about PJ. Not to go Fenian on you, but as I mentioned before, the first part was a comment about AT&T and AT&T alone.

The second part was a general question I had about PJ (by itself). I was under the assumption that PJ had something to do with the issue of music downloads from PC's. Zeke cleared that up for me.

Did the both of them had anything to do with each other? No.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, if the Blue room cut out during God Bless The USA or some other crappy anthem for simpletons whose idea of patriotism is drinking Kool-Aid by the gallon, you'd be pointing skyward and ranting about how America hates religion and how corporate America is poisoning the public against the Great War.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I understand your general point, and to a degree I agree with it. But my grandfather, who fought in World War II and the Korean War, loves that song. I'm hard pressed to call him a simpleton who drinks red white and blue Kool-Aid by the gallon.

Generalizing about people doesn't flatter anyone on either side of the ledger.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry MM. My humble apologies to you.

I look forward to Hondo, who never ever paints Muslims or Democrats with a broad stroke, chiming in with a hypocritical take about how only lefties generalize.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, I think everyone eats from the buffet of fail. Screw you all!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You, my friend, reek of the suck. [/parroting Zeke's line just a bit]

Draft saved Draft deleted