1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AT&T censors Pearl Jam's anti-Bush song

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ifilus, Aug 9, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Hondo comes from the "it's my party and I'll cry if I want to" side of the censorship debate.

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Those, good sir, are fighting words.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Okay, maybe sucks is too strong. Overplayed, for sure, at least where I lived when it was a big song. The stations around me played it every 90 minutes.

But I supposed I should reserve "sucks" for things like Smashmouth and Sugar Ray. Man, for as much as I liked the late 90's, they produced some fail-engorged tunes.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Exactly.

When I go see PJ, I'm not above going to grab a beer during Daughter.

But I respect the fact that there is always someone seeing them for the first time who is dying to hear it. I also respect the fact that they try and make it new for the die-hards by tagging it with a different tune.

But since I bought an ipod and quit listening to the radio, I find myself no longer skipping it when it comes up on the random shuffle. It's a hell of a song.

I'm glad I didn't have to challenge you to a duel.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Then I would beat him about the face with my Pearl Jam bootlegs until he was unconcious and then force feed him the corn and peanuts out of my shit, followed closely by the lyrics to Boys of Summer.

I'd then disembowel him, ring the stage with his intestines and light them afire while encouraging the audience to pelt his gaping stomach cavity with rotten produce.

Then I'd call the paramedics in an attempt to sew him up, so I could do it again.

Other questions?

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Corporate censorship or your censorship....what's the difference?

7. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

My censorship?

8. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

How dare you try to confuse yawn with logic and common sense!

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

No one in the White House told AT&T to yank Pearl Jam's chain.

Tiffany's just the pigeon relaying the message. Got to love these capitalistic executive decisions. Speaking of media, AT&T does have some pull: telephones, internet, etc. when it comes to communication.

Isn't Pearl Jam the first ones who started this brouha over consumers downloading music for free and P.J. demanding that people need to pay to listen to their stuff, so that they can get their royalties?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure how one has to do with the other D-3.

11. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Wasn't AT&T allegedly one of the co-conspirators helping the government data mine and illegally spy on Americans?

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I, for one, am glad that AT&T censored Pearl Jam. Nobody knows more about what I should or should not listen to than AT&T.

I would raise a beer in toast to you, AT&T, but I'm still on hold waiting to speak with one of your customer service reps so that I can ask you which beer I should be drinking.

Draft saved Draft deleted