1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least he was pounding the strike zone

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 16, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

re: this thread title, At least he was pounding the strike zone... i'm sure he was pounding down the booze immediately after. poor guy is now the pitcher i'm rooting for most in mlb.

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Extenuating circumstances. Davies threw 1/3 of an inning, the "long" reliever didn't last long, and Mazzaro had his rest because of the rainout on Sunday. I had to believe he knew the deal when he took the mound. Good, bad or ugly, he was gonna pitch a while.

If he was pissed, I hope it was at himself for folding like a lawn chair. Good news is he's headed to Omaha, and 22-year old lefty Danny Duffy starts tomorrow. Viva la revolucion.

3. Hate-Miser2

Hate-Miser2 Member

Here is how the Royals' bullpen was used in the days leading up to that game ...

Thursday: 1 reliever pitched
    Friday: 2 relievers pitcher
    Saturday: The starter pitched a complete game
    Sunday: Rainout

I understand the starter got hurt and the long reliever didn't last long, but the rest of the bullpen was plenty rested to come in and contribute.

I'm betting that the clubhouse as a whole lost a lot of respect and desire to play for Yost after that move.

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I have to give a lot of credit to Vin for meeting with the media after the game. Not a lot of baseball players would do that, especially after an outing like that.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If you were being exiled to Omaha you'd take your time too.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

He pitched a scoreless inning, too, before it got away from him.

So basically, he gave up 14 earned runs in the span of 4 outs. Which is incredible.

By the time it was time to take Vin out, Cleveland was up 8-0 and Ned Yost probably thought "oh what the hell." Of course, it only got worse after that.

By the way, Mazzaro was supposed to start tonight.

7. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Ned, could you talk about sacrificing Vin?

Draft saved Draft deleted