1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

At least 12 dead in shooting at California bar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 8, 2018.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is part of the problem. The thinking when carrying/using guns on Canadian prairies is, I would imagine, different than doing so wherever you go in Florida. The former is because of the task, the perceived need, the more legitimate reason. The latter is just...because he can, and everybody can, for no real reason.

The thinking is different, as is the perceived need, and the reason.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

I love the people who are first to say they support the police but make the job of policing 100 times harder and more dangerous because they feel everyone should be armed.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Also, tragically, the "good guy with a gun" theory takes a hit when a responding officer, with years of experience and training in engagement and how to shoot, is among those murdered.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How many people here have handled weapons?

I have. To hunt wabbit and other varmints.

Pulling a weapon on someone is just extremely contrary to how I was brought up.

And that was in a rural environment.

Boggles my mind in a city, but some just do not think where their projectiles go.

VB

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

How about the freedom not to be murdered just because you happen to be out in public?

melock likes this.
  6. typefitter

I mean, that's the freedom I'd choose, and that most of the world chooses, but you do you, Murrica.

7. typefitter

Wut? Jesus, man. You went from failed but benign standup comic to catching a serious case of the dumbs in a hurry. You make it sound like mass shootings are careless accidents, committed only in cities by thoughtless city folk. That's not even close to true.

Slacker likes this.
  8. Vombatus

Bullshit. I’m talking about defending oneself. You’re totally on the wrong wavelength just wanting to throw a hand grenade.

9. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

11. typefitter

If I'm on the wrong wavelength, I apologize. But then I'm confounded by your point.

Pulling a weapon on someone is just extremely contrary to how I was brought up.

And that was in a rural environment.

Boggles my mind in a city, but some just do not think where their projectiles go.

Growing up in the country, you were taught not to point guns at people, because... Well, I get that. You shouldn't point guns at people. But some people do point guns at other people, which is dangerous, especially in a city...

But the people this thread is about are looking to murder people? That requires their pointing guns at people. They know exactly where they want their projectiles to go: into other people.

Can you see why I'm totally confused by what you wrote? I'm really not trying to obtuse. I just don't know how you meant for anyone to read that.

12. Vombatus

I see what caused the confusion. My comment was based on the other universe where this link was posted:

Armed Citizens Are Successful 94% Of The Time At Active Shooter Events [FBI]

I was commenting on the 94% success rate, thinking that’s really high, and just owning a gun and firing it at a shooting range is quite different than trying to discern where shots are coming from.

Out in the open, it’s easier. In an urban environment or even indoors, it can be difficult (echoes), and with lots of potential bystanders. Who do you shoot back at?

And thinking about Vegas - what if you somehow had a handgun at that concert? Firing back at that hotel window would have been pretty much impossible at that range with a handgun.

Seems like a lot more room for error in making a really bad decision on what to pull the trigger at.

Plus, when the police arrive, you could be mistaken as the perpetrator.

Anyway, I think the two universes collided on this. Carried one thought to the other place.

BTW, I don’t think I failed at all. Some people enjoyed laughing with me at times. 100% of the time, no way. But, I’ve been told to STFU and I just don’t really go out of my way to try and brighten someone’s day with an occasional laugh around here much anymore. The ankle-biting is what drives me nuts. Seems to be driven by political stuff mostly.

Regards,
    VB

Draft saved Draft deleted