1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astros reporter, Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by NickMathews, Aug 5, 2013.

1. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

The Houston Chronicle is seeking an enterprise-minded journalist to help coverage of the Houston Astros. The ideal candidate must have at least five years experience. Experience covering a major league team is a plus.

Brian Smith did a terrific job covering the Astros for us, and he has moved over to our Texans coverage team. Brian is replacing Tania Ganguli, who left the Houston Chronicle for ESPN.

This position will focus on enterprise reporting, but it will be a key figure in the day-to-day coverage of the Astros, along with veteran reporter Jesus Ortiz.

Please email a resume and cover letter, plus three samples of writing (including two enterprise stories) and your Twitter handle to Sports Editor Nick Mathews at nick.mathews@chron.com.

Please put “Astros reporter” as the subject line. No phone calls please.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Nick is an old friend and terrific at what he does, so this gets the Double Shiny Extra Pretty Moddy Seal of Approval

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I count the deputy as a good friend and an even better person. My seal isn't as good as Moddy's but it's a seal of approval nonetheless.

4. FusilliJerry

FusilliJerry Member

Who ended up filling this one?

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

the Chronicle is pretty good about promoting from within. Jenny Dial was recently moved from high schools up to the Rockets beat, for instance. But, this is the Bad News Bears beat after all. And, the Astros pressbox is basically a retirement home with all the old farts reminiscing about better days.

6. PioneerVoice

PioneerVoice Member

In my dreams, the Chronicle decides to emulate the team they cover and give this gig to a very young, unproven cub with great potential.

7. NickMathews

NickMathews New Member

We are in the process of finalizing our hire. I greatly appreciate all of the interest we received for this position.

8. kkoczwara

kkoczwara Member

Hearing Evan Drellich, Red Sox beat writer from MassLive.com got the spot or offered it. He's one of the best young beat writers in Boston so it would be a great hire.

Draft saved Draft deleted